• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube driver into a sb220

552fl

Mar 29, 2018
Would there be any benefits using a tube type driver into a sb220
Using a transistor 2- pill driver now into the sb220.. just wondering if the audio would be louder?. Someone I know has a mint condition Chris big Boomer amplifier that he will let go real cheap.. I was just wondering if I should swap .driver if they would be any gain in doing this? Someone wants told me that glass into glass sounds a lot better than transistor into glass is this true or not

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Tubes sound better in every application. The best high end audio amplifiers are tubes.
Solid State circuits are noisy and have a Hiss that is noticeable with no signal applied.
I had a Bogen PA for vocals and when you turned it all the way up there was no hiss.
The main draw back on tubes is heat, weight and cost.
Below is a link to high end audio amplifiers.
https://www.usatubeaudio.com/

Last edited:
Well since your radio has solidstate finals you are beat before you start. A tube driver amp will not make it sound any better unless the SS amp you have is currently being over-driven etc. There is a difference in tubes versus SS however in my experience that difference is MUCH more pronounced when tubes are used in the audio stages as well as all the RF stages. We used to have a SS broadcast TX with a tube TX as back up. I could tell which TX was on the air just by listening too it but the tube TX was 100% tube straight from the oscillator thru the RF drivers to the RF finals and the audio was tube from the audio input preamp to the modulator drivers to the modulator tubes. Lots of iron in that audio chain as well which actually tends to introduce ringing from the transformers and high frequency roll-off both of which are actually bad however they lend a certain "warmth" producing that tube sound.

It's the model with the one driving the three tubes. The price sounds right there at 1:40 just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing if I could purchase it do y'all know what that Kris Boomer 300 uses 120 or is it 220 does not matter have both in the Radio room.. so it sounds like I should grab the deal then..

If the radio is not modified and is properly modulated it will sound better through tubes. The warmth is also called presence. Some say the same music played through tube amps and then compared to solid state. Opinions were that the solid state lacked the life present in the tube amplifier.

If the radio is not modified and is properly modulated it will sound better through tubes. The warmth is also called presence. Some say the same music played through tube amps and then compared to solid state. Opinions were that the solid state lacked the life present in the tube amplifier.

I agree 100% when tubes are used in audio however I disagree when tubes are used simply as an RF amp following a solidstate transmitter. Presence is developed in the audio chain and once modulated that level of presence does not change. A good RF amp should not change the audio characteristics. It's like running a TX with 10% distortion into an amp with 1% distortion and thinking you cleaned it up.

I agree 100%. Garbage in= Louder Garbage out. I know of a fella that had a major splatter box of a CB going into a 2 KW amp. He told me as long as I put my low pass filter in between the amp and the antenna I'm legal. He was over modulating the hell out of the carrier and covered all of the 11 meter band with noise. You could hear him clearly 10 channels above and 10 channels below. The FCC nabbed him and took his station down. The guy was pretty poor economically and I have not heard him on the air since.

I guess I could just pick it up and give it a try since it's a good deal..let everyone give me a radio check and see what it sounds like compared the transistor driver.

I would get the tube driver. I would try for as much tube into tube as practical. Even if the radio is transistor, the tube driver would make me feel like I'm doing something. Keep your eyes open for a tube radio and you will be set.

Reactions: Tallman
That's what I was thinking the same thing shade tree for that good of a price and that good condition it won't hurt to try it at least . At least it will be tube driver into tube amp at least.... Turn the Galaxy 2517 down to a two watt carrier and let it swing to about 25 into the Kris Boomer.. they're about a hundred into the sb220

I agree with you tallman...already made my mind up when I get off work I'm going to call the guy and tell him I will take the Boomer.. thank you for your help

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.