• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tuner operation

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
OK here is the deal. I am using the Yaesu FT 840 with an LDG 1000 auto tuner. The problem is I know that we are not supposed to interfere with the frequency but it seems I have to switch to AM mode and key the mike with 30 watts or more and then hit my autotune. What noise does this transmit on the air? I know my tuner clicks forever while trying to tune on 80 meters. Isn't there a better way? Not dummy load because I'm not matching to a dummy load. I'm matching my G5RV with my radio. Anybody have a better way? Or is this an acceptable method?

Maybe check the manual on your tuner? Are you sure you're actually transmitting a signal while in tune mode?
n9zas

Yes, you really are transmitting a signal when in tune mode. One alternative to AM mode is 'CW. Still putting out a signal though. You can't check, or tune anything without a signal of some sort/level. Keeping that signal to the lowest level you can is the biggy with that. Finding a clear frequency to do that tuning is another biggy (when possible).
If an auto-tuner takes much time to do that tuning, it just means that whatever you're tuning isn't very close to the right impedance. (Or, it's really 'close' and the tuner is just looking for a 'better' match.)
- 'Doc

What I do is use just enough power to trip the tuner...say 10 watts or so in either AM or CW mode,that way you are not slamming the finals of the radio with alot of reflected power but still getting the tuner to do what it is supposed to,when the tuner has it matched up at low power then you can increase the power to say 50 or so watts,then you can max it out

But like any tuner,they do have their limits,just use common sence when using a tuner... :)

OK here is the deal. I am using the Yaesu FT 840 with an LDG 1000 auto tuner. The problem is I know that we are not supposed to interfere with the frequency but it seems I have to switch to AM mode and key the mike with 30 watts or more and then hit my autotune. What noise does this transmit on the air? I know my tuner clicks forever while trying to tune on 80 meters. Isn't there a better way? Not dummy load because I'm not matching to a dummy load. I'm matching my G5RV with my radio. Anybody have a better way? Or is this an acceptable method?

Nothing wrong whatsoever except it is a good idea t0 ID when tuning. Pick a clear freq, announce on SSB that "This is W?3??? testing." then switch to CW and throw out a carrier for tuning. When finished flip to SSB again and state callsign followed by "Clear". That makes it all 100% legal in every aspect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.