• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tuning can for a Jackson....

Chevboy0167

Apr 5, 2017
Hello all. I have an older President Jackson, non DX version, here that some previous person tried to mod the clarifier as far as I can tell. A few wires from the said clarifier potentiometer were cut but were repaired back to OEM. Pin 1 of PLL had solder blob on the component side. I removed that. I have recapped entire radio with all Nichicon.

Here be the problem... L12 has been adjusted and has a cracked/broken slug and the plastic insulator sleeve looks chewed up like the golden screwdriver was a bit too big! Number printed on can is LA165. Think I should replace the entire can if possible. Does anyone know where I could find such part?

Also, D32 and D69 may have been hot at some time... There is some fine carbon powder looking substance on the surrounding resistors and the old caps that worries me. Schematic shows them as: D32 is XZ-070. D69 is XZ-074. Should I be worried as to replace them?

All replies welcome and thank you for any help.

Chevboy,
Check out R&R Communications. I ordered 2 of these (LA165) last weekend and am waiting on delivery. Their part number is ECIFT12017. (Thanks to NomadRadio for this heads up).
This part number is used in Ranger (and/or Galaxy) I believe. Regardless, R&R has them in stock @ $5.00 ea.

Sorry, I can't answer about the diodes, but price wise, I'd replace them. Cheap insurance!

73's
David

Thanks Dmans! Very helpful indeed. Yeah, the diodes have been a bit tricky to cross reference but I think I have found them. I am truly amazed about the replacement can part is available! Cool beans fellas. Thanks again!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?