• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner Plus 3 wiring?

Crambone

Jan 22, 2019
I have a Turner plus 3 with 4 wire mike cord, (red, white, black & shield) any idea on the wiring to a Cobra 4 Pin?

If memory serves it should be,

1) Shield Ground
2) White Audio
3) Red TX
4)Black RX

Now I could be wrong, been awhile since I wired a mic.

Last edited:
Reactions: midnight special
Thanks guys, so I noticed on the bottom a switch for relay or electronic? Looks like 2 options that need wiring changed internally also? Using with a Cobra What option should I use?

Using with a Cobra What option should I use?

I believe it is in the manual linked above.

Some Cobra radios used relay switching (older models) and some Cobra radios(generally newer models) used electronic switching-typically.

If your Cobra needs to have the Rx circuit grounded through the mike plug to receive, it is electronic switching. Model of the Cobra you are wiring would help.

David

Reactions: newoldguy
I believe it is in the manual linked above.

Some Cobra radios used relay switching (older models) and some Cobra radios(generally newer models) used electronic switching-typically.

If your Cobra needs to have the Rx circuit grounded through the mike plug to receive, it is electronic switching. Model of the Cobra you are wiring would help.

David
I’m wiring for a Cobra 200 GTL that has a 4 pin

Ok thanks guys I wired it up and it receives, keys but no modulation. I then changed out the caps on the circuit board as I had them and still no modulation. I’m thinking maybe a bad transistor? I will pull and check them when I get a chance.
Oh ya the radio works perfect with stock hand mike I know it’s not the radio itself.

Crambone,
A couple of items to note:
* I may be wrong but I have never known a Cobra 2000 to be built with a 4 pin mike plug as you state in post #1 and post #7. If I am wrong, I am ok with that but if someone had previously changed the mike plug from a 5 pin to a 4 pin, I would suggest you check the wiring of the stock mike that the radio is working with as stated in post #12 and compare to the Turner wiring.

* Turner mikes are generally pretty old. Is it possible that someone has replaced the mike cord on your mike and did not wire it up as per the factory design? (Compare to schematic below)

* You can check the output of the mike element and amplifier by placing your DMM on the shield (black lead) and the white wire (red lead). With a good 9 volt battery installed and the microphones gain about half way up, using the millvolt scale, key the microphone and whistle into it , speak into it or whatever you fancy and look for output on your meter. If there is none, don’t assume bad components yet. (There are 4 transistors on the amplifier board)
Referencing the picture below, remove the bottom cover and trace the amplifier output wire (red highlighted in the photo) and insure it is not grounded when the PTT is pressed. If so, this must be fixed! Some microphones do not ground the audio lead in receive mode but I think that only applies to non-amplified microphones.

B9DEBEEB-2B85-4451-A57A-E2CA068B8143.jpeg

Good luck.
David

Crambone,
Here are a couple photos of a stock Turner+3 amplifier board I removed from a +3 a couple of months ago. I am pretty sure it had the factory cord on it but the element and gain control pot were bad. I “re-engineered” it.
Anyway, I left the leads on the board visible and you can compare the photos to yours and may find the problem.
3D06659E-5F78-43E6-93A5-0830C4BF14A9.jpeg
56474FDA-168D-422E-A204-106306C89A12.jpeg
75CD5985-5A75-4AB5-B093-F9D31B798FFE.jpeg

David

Great thank you I will take a look at it tomorrow. I should have stated that I’m using a 5 to 4 pin adapter. My mobile cobra mike that came with it is 4 pin.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.