• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner Super Sidekick relays

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
Another issue , the Cobra 2000 I bought came with a SSK when I connect it it makes the receive distorted the guy had a jury rigged PC of plastic wedged in the lock button switch to solve the problem which he removed before I got it . He said the relays need cleaning I sprayed it with contact cleaner an to be honest I think it made it worse . I hooked up the Silver Eagle an people say its picking up to much back ground noise ( so I turn it way down) . Before I attempt to clean it can I do it or am I wasting my time . Thanks 357Mag PS I sprayed down through the lock switch because that's were the issue seem to be .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

I've successfully cleaned many turner mic contacts with a very fine grit sand paper or emery cloth after spraying with contact cleaner. The contacts on the reed switches develop corrosion over time but it can be removed.

Thanks RatsoW8 I'm going to take it a part I googled around for pics or info but didn't have much luck .

All I ever used on either of my two Turner +3B's was a piece of regular copy paper with contact cleaner sprayed on it. You do not want to use anything too rough or you will destroy the contact surface. Same thing with my D-104 and any small relay I have had to clean. If you can find some 1200 girt sandpaper that is about as rough as I would use and it works well but ONLY if it is wet with contact cleaner.

Reactions: Robb and bob85
i know this dosent pretain to your problem but have seen many people complain that the output audio is too loud or distorted,, it is because many dont know that the supersidekick has 2 control pots,, one on top and one accessible thru a tiny hole on the bottom,, i have found that turning down the bottom adjustment works best with solid state equipment especially if radio is equipted with a mike gain adjustment,,,, just some thoughts 73s midnight special

Reactions: 1 person
i know this dosent pretain to your problem but have seen many people complain that the output audio is too loud or distorted,, it is because many dont know that the supersidekick has 2 control pots,, one on top and one accessible thru a tiny hole on the bottom,, i have found that turning down the bottom adjustment works best with solid state equipment especially if radio is equipted with a mike gain adjustment,,,, just some thoughts 73s midnight special

yes your correct. if you look at the manual from tuner on cbtricks. it actually states
to do that. actually says turn it all way down [ to the left]. and use gain on mic.
also notes that gain adjustment on bottom is really for tube radios. although imho
i think tube radios have best audio

I saw the other adjustment when I was cleaning it an wondered about that just need to get a fresh battery so I can check it .

Still no dice .I cleaned contacts , new battery but every time I hook it up it distorts my receive audio . I guess I have to pull of the mic plug to see if it has a frayed wire causing a problem . After that I'm done with it , D104 , No Problems !

i know this is real old but could you guys give me some info. i have a super sidekick and a +3b and what do you think is the best type of batterys for these old mics. thanks

thanks but im asking about the type of 9v carbon-zinc,alkaline, or the new ones,forgot what they are made from. i know in the 70s carbon-zinc was the only kind made and i'm asking if that is the way to go or if it does not matter.

A 9 volt battery is a 9 volt battery as far as operation is concerned. For longer life use an alkaline battery. No need to use anything more exotic like lithium ion or anything like that. Those are rechargeable anyway but for the cost versus life expectancy an alkaline is the best bet. I ONLY use alkaline batteries in anything I use that takes batteries except rechargeable devices then it is either nickel-metal hydride or lithium ion.

thanks a bunch captain kilowatt. i just pulled these out after about 20+years of non use and want to use what is best for them. have a good one

All I ever used on either of my two Turner +3B's was a piece of regular copy paper with contact cleaner sprayed on it. You do not want to use anything too rough or you will destroy the contact surface. Same thing with my D-104 and any small relay I have had to clean. If you can find some 1200 girt sandpaper that is about as rough as I would use and it works well but ONLY if it is wet with contact cleaner.
Agreed.

To the OP:
You do NOT want to ruin the surface of the contacts with anything rougher than a matchbook cover and some contact cleaner. I do not use thin paper, because it will fall apart and leave debris on these surfaces.

These mics have very hot preamp. Truth be told, it is waaaaay too hot for any radio. The best position to set the gain on these mics is to set the pot to about the 9 to 10 o'clock position. No more. Otherwise, it will just sound like crap because it is overloading the radio's mic preamp. I used no more than the 9:30 position, and the mic gain on the radio should be at the 12 o'clock position slightly less. Distance from mouth to mic should be kept at 1 foot. No more or less.

Distortion is NOT your friend; it is your foe.

They can sound as good or better than a D-104 Silver Eagle; but the trick is to keep the mic gain on the mic really low. In this case, more is definitely not better. Same goes for the mic gain setting on the radio, you will need to be conservative and judicious there too. A little goes a LONG way.

Last edited:
good topic guys keep it going. i have had a super sidekick for 20+ years and just pulled it out of the bin last night,put the deoxit to it and my buddy said it sounded so good with my 2950dx, i bought one more turner +3b this morning. ok ramble over. i used a brown paper bag for the contacts and it worked perfect with out any cling-ons. any more tips with these mics. keep them coming. here is one from me. mothers back to black trim&plastic restorer works great for the cord and made my m6b look like new also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.