• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tweaked and peaked?

tweaked and peaked sounds so nasty (-: but yes !! .....nothing wrong with a good tuning for a little more power and getting that audio up to 100%. I really don't think there's a whole lot of differance when power is involved , but getting the audio up will bring the pep watts up automatically. Some CB radios tend to do a little bit more then others , but being able to raise the audio is always a good thing. Most CB's will do 4 to 6 watt dead keys , usually X's that by 4 times with the audio swing at 100%. I've seen radios out of the box do about 4 to 8 pep at about 60% audio ......Usually a decent tune up can always be telled by the others hearing you after you go from stock to tuned. ......Is it a big deal getting your radio tuned ? Well ,that just depends on how one looks at it because your radio will work just fine for the most part right out of the box , and one of the most importent aspects to all radios is the antenna system you will be using......you could have a 500.00 radio on a 5 dollar antenna that really won't do very well ,but you could have a 5 dollar radio on a well to do antenna system and put that 500.00 dollar radio to shame. I personally would have your radio tuned by a reputable tech , I think it will have better all around performance there after. good Luck to you.

with a name like stoner guy (no pun intended) I'd bet to say you've been peaked and tweaked a few times in your life (-: Lord knows I have !! Wish I could personally forget a few of those lost days. Peace

As long as "tweaked and peaked" doesn't mean the limiter disabled, the alc disabled, and all the trim pots and cans turned clockwise.

Tuning up a factory radio to perform it's best isn't all that hard, usually involves some minor mods, doesn't cost much from a good tech, but is easy to find someone to do it wrong.

" tweaked peaked frequed unlocked and opened " On a legal 40 channel c.b. radio could you explain this unlocked and opened thing?

unlock the clarifier so the tx slides with the rx.

open the clarifier so it slides more to go in between channels

It works on AM too, just another way to get to the "A" channels.

Beetle said:
Butcher318 - doing this to a "legal 40 channel c.b. radio" renders it no longer legal.

not allways.... maybe it came from factory doing 3 watt carrier and 6 watts PEP.
"Tweaked and Peaked" and now its set for 4 watts carrier and 12 watts PEP.

unless you were talking about the clarifier thing.... wich is hardly ever performed by someone who can align the tx/rx properly. then you tell the person there off freq. and they get all pissy, or the other end is they give up on SSB becuase there constantly having to ajust there open clarifier wich then moves there tx along with it and the constant chase is on..........

you are surely right about opening claifiers and what not , those tools of the trade surely come in handy for that stuff making sure you are as close to being aligned as possible for upper and lower side band, IM really not up on AM only type radios having sliders on them. Someone once said there really was no such thing as a center slot on sideband , well .......I suppose there really is but with all the different techs and hacks of the world , it can surely make them center slots a bit rough and tough trying to find from time to time )-: Over the years peaked and tweaked has simply meant the guy had his radio tuned one way or the other , I would think tweaked meant upping the watts and tweaked could mean getting the audio up ?? Hell if I know !! I don't think it has to be a Hack job just to be referred to as a peak and tweak.......I remember 20 years ago especially with newbie's you would always here , Hey dude !! You need to get that thing Peaked and Tweaked ......and 9 times out of 10 they did and then they got to hear about how much better they sounded (-: and that was always a Ego booster for most.

It was the clarifier work that I was referring to as illegal. To be legal, you can't have any sort of VFO, or "slider", for the transmit side. Part of a "tuneup" should include verifying that all 40 channels are on the correct frequency plus or minus zip point doodoo. This requires a good, calibrated frequency counter, which requires money, both the initial outlay AND periodic recalibration. I'd bet that most cb "techs" don't have such an instrument, nor even access TO such an instrument.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.