• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Two Band Dipole......

I pretty much did and / or tried everything you guys mentioned, I think my biggest problem was that my spacers weren't long enough giving the two wires enough separation.

I did solve the problem in another way, I dropped the 10m dipole I had hanging in a different tree, and replaced it with one cut for 20m, I know that one works real good because my first 20m contact on it was in Slovenia with a 5 X 9 signal report.....(see post in General HAM Discussion for more on that)....;)

The 40m arrangement withstood the hurricane force winds we had all day yesterday, the wind isn't quite as bad today, but it's still blowing pretty good out there. I figure if it made it through the night I'd be in good shape....so far so good......(y)

I used to use a 20/40m fan dipole until i got a tuner. I had the 40m run flat across the top an had the 20m angled down so it wouldn't get tangled with the 40m antenna. Took me a few trys cutting a little off here an there to make them resonate, but when I did, I was making contacts all over. Got the tuner and now have a 10-80m inverted V up :)

Not to start a pissing match but I use a G5RV for everything below 15 meters with the exception of 160 meters is a G5RV the best antenna NO but it sure works good enough for now and doesnt gert anymore simplified thats for damn sure its a nice antenna to start out with and keep as a spare if need be.

TonyV225....

You won't get a pissing match out of me, I looked long and hard at a G5RV, the problem I have is height, and being able to support the center at the needed height. As it is, my 40m dipole is at best 20 feet up, and my 20m dipole is at best 15 to 18 feet up, so getting enough height for the G5RV's flat lead to hang straight down was my stumbling block.

I'd give up my left nut for a 40 or 50 foot tower strategicly located in my back yard, but I think the Queen of this castle would object, and if the Queen ain't happy...:glare:...nobody is happy....:unsure:

I've Been Using The DXCC For 2+ years Up 25' & Have Had Great Luck With It Great Antenna For 6-80 meters & Its Fine K5D on 80&17 w/100watts not bad Ah Australia New Zealand just too name a Few long list on this antenna @the Bottom of the solar Cycle!

So now that I have what I hope to be a working HF radio on it's way here....(Kenwood TS-130)....I need to get serious about putting some wire up.

Using scapped materials I did manage to produce a working 10m dipole, never got it up high enough to be really effective, but it worked and had a low 1.2:1 SWR over most of the band.

Now I need to consider what bands I'll want to operate on out of the gate here on this Kenwood HF rig, and I figure for now anyway, I'll get on 40m and 20m to start. Once I can swing an antenna tuner then it'll be a different story, but for now I need to string up a band specific tuned antenna.

I've got the room for 40m, so 20m is not problem, and I'm figuring on a double band fan type configuration with the 40m on top, and the 20m hanging below it.

I got the hardware assembled today, and took some photo's of the project so far.The whole assembly was glued with PVC solvent cement, and reinforced with #8 X 5/8" stainless screws to keep it from pulling apart.

Once I get this jury rig up in the air, I'll take some photo's with the good camera and post them here, with a report on the antenna's performance....

I want to build one for 10 and 11 meters for my Connex 4400HP.I thought this dipole is directional. What is the length of the dipole for this? I hope I have enough room. I want to build the same type and have a huge maple tree where the feed with be,and I have around 75 feet to each side of the tree to use. Is there a rule to certain 'foot' measurements or increments? I have 150 feet to play with. How do you adjust for SWR? By shortening the coax as for being one way? I will follow and listen closely here. I want to build one and yours is looking very nice! Thanks. Scott V. FLA

Last edited:
KingCobra,
Dipoles are directional given a few considerations. One of those considerations is how high above ground it is. That height is measured in wave lengths, not just feet. That means that an antenna made for a lower frequency would have to be higher than one made for a higher frequency for it to be very directional at all. After about 1/4 wave length, a dipole starts getting to be directional till it gets to something like a full wave length, where it sort of averages out, kind of. Don't count on it being as directional as some kind of beam, it never will be, but will tend to put a signal out more in a couple of directions than all of them.
A dipole, a horizontal one, tends to be directional 'broadside' to it's self, off to the sides, sort of. There's still signal off the ends of it, but not as much as the sides. A very general sort of pattern is like... " O|O " with the dipole being the "|" thingy and the "O" thingys being the radiation pattern. Don't take that very literally, it's only a generalization, and a really 'crappy' one at that. :) It'll give you a general idea anyway.
So how long should a dipole be? It's frequency dependent, right? So the 'magic' number to use is "468". You divide that 'magic' number by the frequency in Mhz, and you get an answer in feet. So, 468 / 27.185Mhz = 17,21 feet, or about 17 feet and 2.5 inches. That's going to be slightly too long, which is better than it being slightly too short, cuz it's easier to shorten an antenna than to make it longer. You probably also want to allow a few extra inches so you can make wraps, and connections. And extra foot or two isn't going to hurt anything, just wrap that 'extra' back onto it's self at the ends and don't worry about it (electrically, it disappears, sort of).
There's always two steps to tuning any antenna. Making the thing resonant by adjusting it's length, and then matching it's input impedance to that of the feed line and radio. That first part, the resonance thingy, you can get close to with that formula. Closeness does count.
The second part of the tuning is to get the thing at least close to 50 ohms input impedance. That can be as 'tricky' as you want to make it. Some facts first. A typical 1/2 wave dipole at about 1/2 wave length above ground, has an input impedance of around 75 ohms (that's not exact, just an approximation). At best, that'll give you an SWR of about 1.5:1. Not really all that bad at all. But, there's an easy way of reducing that 75 ohms to something very nearly 50 ohms. That's by reducing the angle between the 'legs' of that dipole less than 180 degrees, letting them 'dangle' a bit, slope down some. When the "angle of the dangle" gets close to 50 ohms impedance, or the SWR gets closer to 1:1... quit. That's good enough. It doesn't take a lot of 'dangle' to get that 75 ohms closer to 50 ohms, but it'll take some. If that angle between the dipole's legs ever gets close to 90 degrees you've gone way too far, something else isn't 'right'.
That's a very, very genral way of doing things with a dipole. There are others. Using the length of feed line as a tuning tool is just not a very good idea except in very specialized circumstances. A typical dipole type thingy just doesn't fall into one of those special categories. Use whatever length of feed line it takes to get from the antenna to the radio, with a few feet 'extra' to make things easier to deal with. Coax doesn't 'stretch', so more is good to some ridiculous point. Lots of variations in all that, do it how is 'best' for you.
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc, Alot of great information for me to keep in mind. One more question....You said that the dipole would be around 17 ft for the general 27 mhz band.... Can I and would I gain anything but multiplying 17ft X 3 ....say making my dipole 51' to each side? Sorry, if I sound stupid. I am told that the 26/27/28 mhz band operates in measurments of 3X in feet or close to it. I have seen fellow CB's( when I was a youngster:D) with wires strung from one end of their back yard to the other. I have a neighbor that is a wordwide 'Hammer' with a dipole that looks to total around 180 ft! He said he could also help me construct it but, he isn't much into CB or 10 meter stuff. He is 2m , 40m and much higher. I hope to get my Amatuer license soon and work my way up. Then my neighbor would really help me(y).
Thnks for your time and hair pulling:D on this matter. Scott ( C.S.-> King Cobra)

About the 17 x 3 thingy. It may result in performance that would suit a particular need that you may have, which would be nice. But the 'catch' is that the resulting input impedance isn't going to be anything close to 50 ohms. I have no idea what it might be, but it ain't gonna be easy to make close to 50 ohms, that's for sure. Using that length for a doublet (doublet is the same as a dipole but not 1/2 wave long +/-) will result in a radiation pattern NOT the same as a 1/2 wave antenna. If that happens to put your signal where you want it to go, then good! I sort'a wouldn't count on that, though.
No, you don't sound stupid. You sound like you haven't gotten a 'handle' on how antenna lengths relate to frequency yet. That's not 'stupid', it's only uninformed. Stupid is anyone who would listen to me about nuclear physics! Or small engine repair! Them little bast... uh, things hate me.
To really get a 'handle' on antennas you have to know a little about inductance, capacitance, reactances, AC current behavior, and some other 'fun' stuff. That just takes time to pound all that $#;+ into your head. Ask your neighbor! And be sure to watch the look on his face, priceless! Then buy lots of asprin...tylanol, whatever.
- 'Doc

It really isn't that hard -after- your learn it...

Thanks for the info. Yeh, I have seen that look on his face LOL. Kinda like the look I had when he showed me his array of antennas and the lonnnnnnng horizontal dipole he built in his back yard. He says to call him when I need help so, I'm dialing now:D. Thanks. Scott(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.