• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Two radios on same antenna?

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
Ive done a forum search and have turned up nothing. Is there a safe way to run two radios on the same antenna without a manual antenna switch?

Im thinkin of gettin a Galaxy 979 for a general all around radio, and using my old junk cobra 29Wx St for weather.

If the cobra was used for WX only, would it benefit from a seperate antenna closer to WX resonant length. (Guessing around 18" whip). Or would it matter all that much.

My current ant is a Siro 5000 turbo on a pl145 magnet mounted center of the cab on a ex cab pickup.

if you just want to listen to the weather i would just find an older handheld scanner see a lot of them for 20 dollars or less because of the rebanding of the police/fire freqs.....

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
You can have two radios with one antenna IF you have a good switch in line. I have been running a connex and ranger with one Wilson 5K for years. I had the connex long before I got interested in SSB. Did some home work and talked to my tech guy. You can have both radios on at the same time and switch back and forth. You just can't transmit with both on. I have running quite a bit of power and still NO problems.

That's the issue. The OP does not want to use a manual switch and without a switch he cannot do what he wants. IIRC at one time many moons ago there was an automatic swit h on the market that used PIN diodes to switch a relay to the active radio when it detected RF but the exact unit defies memory at the moment. Does not matter anyway as it is not on the market now.

ELAD do an antenna switch box which works both off RF sensing and PTT.

http://ecom.eladit.com/ELAD-ASW-1-SWITCHBOX-RF-AF-RX/TX-Automatic-Exchanger

Its what is often recommended on the Kenwood TS590 reflector for people wanting to use SDR receivers with that radio.

Downside is for CB land its not cheap.

Yeah that is sort of what I was thinking but IIRC the unit I was thinking about would allow two transceivers to be tied to one antenna and the unit would switch the antenna to whichever transmitter was active and hold the connection there for the RX as well. Good for if you have a radio in the shack and another in say the kitchen. Whichever radio was keyed the antenna would switch and stay there until the other radio was keyed. i forget just exactly how it worked but they did work well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.