• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TX audio mods

Does Ranger make a 4 pin SRA-158?

Yes, although I don't remember the -dash number. But you can put a 4 pin plug on a standard sra158 and just ignore the channel up/down wires.

As far as modulation meters go, they don't show flat tops or pinched carriers, you could garner just as much info from a good peak reading meter IMO.

Here is the thing with most n/c mics, I don't think they're needed in the majority of applications where proper use of the "mic gain" knob will accomplish the same thing.

I know that if I say aaaaauuuuuddddiiioooo,my modulation. Will show 80% and a whistle will produce 100% using a stock hand mic. I don't have a O-Scope in my arsenal yet but I using my DTB radios as a standard on what to go by.

I know that if I say aaaaauuuuuddddiiioooo,my modulation. Will show 80% and a whistle will produce 100% using a stock hand mic. I don't have a O-Scope in my arsenal yet but I using my DTB radios as a standard on what to go by.

I think a lot of people doing these mods who care about what they transmit would be surprised by the flat-topping that shows up on a scope.

Sorry but the whole idea seem like a waste of time and energy. I have heard plenty of good sounding signals that were not Hi-fi. As long as there is no qsb on the signal I have never had a problem understanding anyone. A good high quality speaker will do wonders!

Yes you could

Radio is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. AM, FM, CW, SSB, SSTV, PSK etc etc. Some people take a radio out of the box and talk to their blue in the face, while others take a radio out of the box and pull the covers.

Whose to say whose right and whose wrong?

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I agree with you, radio offers something for everyone and I am not above pulling covers and "tweaking" things, I am however more concerned with signal strength then audio quality because there is better than 90% chance that the person on the other end will never notice and out of the box is good enough. Wide band audio is not going to break the pileup. But that being said if you run with a group were you all have the mods done and you can effectively hear the difference then go for it.

Guys like Motor Mouth Maul, Mustang 131 or 44 Magnum sound noticeably better than the average transmitter when listening on the average receiver / speaker combo and they sound broadcast quality when listening on something a little wider like a Mark III receiver with 5 caps replaced, driving an external speaker.

44 Magnum is running the latest version of the Dave Made transmitters and damn if it didn't sound as good as the best stuff on 75. To be completely honest, it blew the AM window sound out of the water because much less limitation on bandwidth needs to be used where channel spacing is 10 KHz.

On the speaker front that is very true. It does not take anything radical or special either. I have used 12 inch full range guitar speakers, coaxial 6X9's in truck boxes, high end book shelf speakers, high end audio speaker and even a home theater center channel. All where a huge step up from what comes installed in 2 way radio's. In fact an old ford 4x6 or some other odd ball number in a cigar box works better than the OEM speaker in all radio's.

I have always just used what ever I had available to me at the time. I like to have a lot more speaker than I need and preferably not very efficient to eat up some of the noise. A large full range speaker or even a sub-woofer that is resonating in free air will not have much bass as the sound from the back and the front cancel each other out in free air. This is how they did audio well into the 1940's The front of the enclosure would be ornate wood and would have a grill cloth of sorts to hide the speaker and the back was basically open. I like to use a large speaker and a fairly soft sounding tweeter. I normally aim the speaker at the wall and reflect it back at me this takes some of the edge off the sound. Some people think the sub or large full range muddies the sound but with a tweeter along for the ride it should not be noticeable keep in mind this is CB audio not and audio book recorded in a studio with a $7000 mic. On top of that we are talking about a minuscule output. Most people will find a 6x9 coaxial speaker to be more than enough especially is you dampen the inside with pillow stuffing "poly fill" I think it is called. Pick a speaker you like to begin with if you think it sounds like crap with studio mastered recording it is not going to help the terrible CB audio sound any better. I would sort through your speakers in your home listening to talk radio until you find one you like. If you buy some speakers do listen to them. Any decent speaker will sound great compared to OEM. I have a tube/transistor hybrid 8 track am/fm receiver in my basement. It is playing through some ancient Realistic bookshelf speakers and two eminence speakers hanging from wire and it sound fantastic.

Things to consider.

1) Do not use just a large full range or sub alone no enough definition and clarity.
2) Do not use a tweeter alone not unless you like your ears bleeding and your skull pounding.
3) Unless you have hearing loss do not point the speaker right at yourself try aiming it at a wall opposite you if they are near the same level as you and close to you.
4) If you can do it put the speaker up higher than you will be. Think about Gym's, Movie Theater, Church they always have the speakers up high.

What good is all this hifi stuff if you are using the terrible stock speaker?

Reactions: Slowmover and Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.