• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TX STar 350 help

Charlie Brown

certifiable
Dec 18, 2010
Tennessee
www.pedalsteelman.com
Bought this from a forum member here some time ago. Tough little box. When I got it the fuse holder was 1/2 melted so I replaced that and its been doing pretty good for a while. When I replaced the fuse holder naturally I did it right so yes I had the cover off the box. I noticed that see pic was a little toasted. One night it started smoking so I turned it off and the next day it was fine. Well its been about two months and last night it finally let go I guess. Smoked up the room pretty good just as soon as I turned it on??

Anyways I'm ok at copper board amps but I know nothing about these tin foil amps so my ? is what do I replace this with so it doesn't do this anymore?

Its on the input side going to the relay..

Thanks
Tom

The part that burned out is a 10 microhenry RF choke with a current capacity of approximately 500 milliamps. Unfortunately this part is the heart of a serious design flaw inside all Texas Star amplifiers smaller than 8 transistors. As you can see this part struggles to hold itself together even in this small amp yet they use it all the way up to the 667. The choke has been used to spare the extra 75 cents a 3 pole relay would cost and has caused one of the worst circuit blunders I've ever seen.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.