• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

U/VHF Mobile Antenna Mount Method: Drill Hole, Magnetic, or Trunk?

KC2TUA

May 22, 2010
Per my post in the UHF/VHF forum, (http://www.worldwidedx.com/vhf-uhf-bands-vhf-uhf-rigs/58461-ftm-350r-vs-tm-d710a-should-i-get.html,) I will be purchasing either the Yaesu FTM-350R or the Kenwood D710A. Which mount method should I use: drill hole, magnetic, or trunk? I have listed what I understand the advantages and disadvantages among methods below; please advise or correct as necessary. Thanks.

[FYI, my car is a 1997 Dodge Intrepid four-door sedan. I will most likely choose the Comet CA-2x4SR, CR-320A, or CSB-750A, based on various reviews on worldwidedx.com]

Drill Hole
Advantages
-Takes advantage of center of roof for best tx/rx and ground plane
-Feed line remains inside the automobile w/o running through door or window
Disadvantages
-Need to ensure safety during installation
-Need to ensure rain does not enter through hole for antenna
-Cannot move mount between cars
-Reduces resale value
-Does this method reduce safety of remaining in vehicle during lightning storm?

Magnetic
Advantages
-Takes advantage of center of roof for best tx/rx and ground plane
-Can move mount between cars
-Does not permanently alter car
Disadvantages
-Feed line must be run through door or open window

Trunk
Advantages
-Feed line remains inside the automobile w/o running through door or window
-Does not permanently alter car
Disadvantages
-Does not take advantage of ideal tx/rx or ground plane location

Do ground planes matter that much for U/VHF operation, or is this mainly a HF concern?

Thanks to all for your help! I look forward to going on the air soon!

KC2TUA

That 'groundplane' matters no matter what the frequency.
The 'best' place to put that antenna is the place that is most practical for you. There will be some slight difference in performance between roof and trunk mounting. But not much.
Contrary to popular belief, a hole does not permanently affect/alter the vehicle. It's still the best way of doing it if you possibly can.
Want to move the radio from car to car? Get two antennas.
- 'Doc

A lot of VHF/UHF mobile antennas are vertically cophased with a 1/2 wave vertical on the bottom of the "array" (I'm sure that's not the correct way to say it, but I'm coming up short with words tonite ;) ). That means that you may not need to worry about the ground plane depending on the antenna. Make sure you read the antenna specs. Regardless, ensuring a good ground plane certainly will never hurt anything, and it means you will always be able to swap any antenna you want.

Drill the hole if you can, otherwise use a good type of fixed mount. Use a mag mount as a last or lazy resort ;)

The trunk lip mount works very well for most all VHF/UHF applications..I used a Larson NMO 150 rigged on a lip mount for a long time and it worked great !! I was very happy with the results...I am now using a mag mount for the same antenna and there is a difference in the performance over all..the lip mount worked better for me personally.

Now dont get me wrong,the mag mount antenna does a good job,I am pleased with the results that I am getting .But the better contact you get with the car/truck the better off you are for the ground plane,it does make a difference,at least for me it did..( I used the mag mount this time for ease of install...it is on a pick up...I didnt want to drill a hole in the cab )

For me personally if given a choice I would go with either the trunk lip or drill hole

This is just my personal thoughts on this issue,I am by no means a radio guru...use what you feel would work best for you

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.