• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ultimate antenna question

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
i just got this antenna. Does anybody here have any experience with it Does it work better verticle or horizontally i have it 6ft off the ground horizontally
between the side of my house and my neighbor's fence which is 10 feet apart from my side wall to his fence. flat SWR on 10 meters and 40 meters 1.4 on 11 meters i bought it because I'm in an HOA community or maybe it needs a more open space.

Attachments

• ultimax 100.jpg
    ultimax 100.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 72

After a little more reading it needs to be longer. 24 ft is not even close manufacturer recommends starting with 33ft I'm going with 36ft or 49

Last edited:
Its an end feed antenna, I played around with one(made my own) and yes they do work. It's far from the ultimate antenna and more a quick and dirty temporary one and I would never use one a permanent option.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Its an end feed antenna, I played around with one(made my own) and yes they do work. It's far from the ultimate antenna and more a quick and dirty temporary one and I would never use one a permanent option.
ok Thanks What a good recommendation for a dipole 10,40,11 meters

ok Thanks What a good recommendation for a dipole 10,40,11 meters
The problem I see with a dipole in your situation, is the height above ground. You would want to get the antenna a half wavelength abobe ground on the lowest frequency you intend to use. If you can't do that, the pattern and take off angle will not be ideal, in addition to high ground losses.

Reactions: 1iwilly
The problem I see with a dipole in your situation, is the height above ground. You would want to get the antenna a half wavelength abobe ground on the lowest frequency you intend to use. If you can't do that, the pattern and take off angle will not be ideal, in addition to high ground losses.
at the moment i have a Sirio 2016 I've been using on 11 meters if i can find a verticle antenna i can replace the Sirio with

at the moment i have a Sirio 2016 I've been using on 11 meters if i can find a verticle antenna i can replace the Sirio with
I have been using a Cushcraft R5 for over 30 years. It is good for what it is, but has required a bit of maintenance over the years. The R7, would give you 30 and 40m. I don't think I would bother with the Crushedcrap by MFJ.

If your HOA is letting you use a Sirio 2016, then whatever the height to the tip is, you can get a ground mounted multiband vertical that comes to roughly the same height and probably get away with it (The HOA may not even notice the change). It would probably need to be relocated to the center of your yard or some where with enough room to accommodate the ground radials coming off the base.

I assume that since you are replacing the Sirio, you want to be able to use whatever you put up on 11m too. That being said, any HF multiband vertical that has 10M or 12M can be "tuned" to 11M with a tuner.

I personally don't like to use a tuner; but to each, his own.

If you don't want to use a tuner, then select a Multiband vertical that uses a tapped inductance coil:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hgn-av-18vs (you can tap the coil for 11M)

or uses cut to length elements:

Where you can cut the 12M element a little short and make it for 11M.

Since you have your Tech and privileges on 10M, you will probably want to use the 10M element (just cut it for the phone portion of the band). This solution is basically a vertical Fan Dipole which has the advantages of not needing a tuner, traps, or a switch box.

Good Luck

Reactions: 1iwilly

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.