• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unbalanced Physical Length Dipole

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
So, here's a thought. I've seen a few homebrew dipoles use mobile antennas (ex. Firestik KW5) as the ends of the dipole. A dipole constructed in this fashion should have both ends (the hot and the cold end) balanced, or the same electical length,right? What if you were to keep the electrical length the same and change the physical length. For example, . would there be any concievable advantage(or disadvantage) to say setting up a vertical dipole with a KW7 on top, being the hot side, and a KW1 on the bottom, cold side, VERSES using two KW4's??? :unsure:

If I understand your question. ( first cup of coffeee so mot responsible for what i post ).

It would be an un balanced antenna, if both sides are not equal.

Now if you can get the antenna you are describing tuned so that it is resonant on your desired freq it will work. How efficient it will work is yet to be determined.

Try it and find out how it does.

Reactions: 1 person
Would it work? Yes. Take it in the other direction, one short, loaded antenna and a 9 foot piece of wire. It would 'work' too. And like 'wavrider' said, it doesn't say how well it would work. The shorter you go the more 'picky' that antenna gets, the harder it is to tune it, find the 'sweet spot'. It will also change the 'shape' of it's radiation/listening pattern in unpredictable ways.
So, would it 'work' for you? No idea, try it and see.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.