• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unden Grant xl ssb scratchy

Fdtrucker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 5, 2005
Southern Shore Of Lake Ontario
My grant xl is sounding scratchy on tx (distorted), enough that my local net noticed it . On am its clear. It has had some power mods done. And an expo kit. It does it on every channel upper lower etc.. I adjusted the alc it does nothing to the audio. Let me know.

Ok.. Now its clear with the amp off. When I turn the amp on and xmit it sounds distorted. Its a Palomar Elite HD. On am it sounds great. On ssb it distorts no matter what I do it won't stop. ie: mic gain and such. There are no adjustments in the palomar. ?????

VR11 seems to not be making a difference when adjusted. Could anything else be cut or changed? What was your answer to that one ? How much are you driving the amp with ? 1 to 2 watt DK in should be fine. SSB should be able to handle about 20 watts usually what a Grant XL will put out on SSB ....pretty close the same on AM at 100% modualtion. Those radios really don't need anymore then that to sound good on both AM/SSB ,you did say the radio had a power mod done on it ? I'd like to know why vr11 won't bring down your audio ?especially if you repaired r131 ? ....Does TR-24 look like it has been modified ? that's another way guys like to get more audio out of the radio ,but don't know or see why it would effect vr 11 ? hmmmm ,also is your amp AB-1 SSB ready ? some amps aren't ,they will work on SSB but will not always sound to good not being AB-1 ....I personally think your Grant XL is one of the finest SSB cb radios ever made along with a few of the older 148 GTLs .......hope you figure out whats going on and let me know so i might learn something new here. (-: Good Luck

the palomar elite hd's i have seen say class ab1 on the front but the bias is shorted to ground with chokes on the transformers, the rest of the basic bias circuit was in there so i unhooked the chokes, it made it better but still not good, they also have no feedback in them :roll:

It has variable power hooked to the rf gain, as far as other power mods I dont know. It puts out around 18 watts on am and ssb. I did do a clarifier mod. I don't think that would effect vr11. It sounds good with the little pride 100 amp I got. I dont know what else to do. I'm not a cb tech I just play one on tv..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.