• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 520 Modulation

Hardhead

Dec 8, 2005
Georgia
How do you turn up the Mod on the 520?
Q6 is the AMC but there is no variable control. Which component do I change to increase the Mod with out over Modulating?
Any help is appreciated.
I checked on CBTRicks and DTB's site but there was no help.
:?:

Good little radio...I ran one on my bike for a few years and you will find out the stock mic will provide you with plenty of modulation and the RF gain on mine worked well.
Personally I wouldnt mess with modulation on that radio, it has plenty just stock ecspecially on a Hog but if you insist...
Check this sites link out . Im pretty sure this will help you out. I sometimes find good info there when others dont have it.
www.radiomods.co.nz/pro500d510xl520xl.html

I do not usually suggest this but with that radio either clip the limiter or run a d104 or 575 m6 mic. If you clip it then don't run the power mic.

Butcher318 said:
I do not usually suggest this but with that radio either clip the limiter or run a d104 or 575 m6 mic. If you clip it then don't run the power mic.

I may play with increasing the size of the resistor in series with the D14 diode. At least then I will have some over modulation control. It looks like a 5.6k ohm so I may try a 7 or 8 k to up the mod a little.

I'll be running it on the bike most of the time so the helmet headset is noise cancelling. I'll probably pick up a roadking 56 for the truck.

Thanks,

Hardhead, i did that same thing on mine. I forgot what I used, but if you give me a bit, I can check it for you.

Butcher318 said:

Ole Butcher is Ballsy !! (-: they could open the fort doors and break your sword in half and send you on your way for that one dude round these parts. Peace

My best recommendation for that radio is the power mic. One of those cheap truck-stop echo mics actually does wonders for that line of radio. Adjusted correctly, iit will make that radio sound like anything BUT a tiny little 60-dollar radio. You'll have people asking you what kind of Galaxy you're running and things like that. Whatever you do, you don't want to cut the limiter. It will cause way too much harmonic distortion in the audio, not to mention all of the bleedover you'll see. Read This to see what I mean.

Thanks DTB,
I had already read those threads. Very good pictures of what happens when you do it wrong. I agree with keeping it clean. I have allot of examples around me here in the Atlanta area of how not to tune a radio. There are radios here that you can hear on all 40 plus channels. The bad part is they don't care how many people they bother. If the modulation is near 100% I probably won't touch it. I'll test it with my helmet mike.

I'm with ya there DTB, 95% of the time clipping is a no no. With certain dinky radio's there is not much else to do though. Most people will not want to spend 35 bucks to have a 15 dollar radio tuned.

Remarkable !! Guys get 15 dollar radios tuned for 30.00 all the time ,but then again I haven't seen to many 15.00 dollar radios ? Ebay ? Flea Market ?....even folks on Ebay have raised there prices over the years, and as far as getting a ballpark reading for modulation ,LOL ? A well calobrated Dosy or PDC on a dummy load should give you at least something go on after you have had one tuned properley. It ain't rocket science. And as far as there being some radios that not much can be done to them ? ...this is very true !! I've seen some of them barely even reach the 100% modualtion mark after the diode or resistor was clipped. I was kidding with you here Butcher , no offence meant. How about this Hardhead ,hook it up and leave it be ,use it for awhile and then clip D-14 or use your resistors in line , let others be the judge for you if that should be the case , but then again there's a saying i've heard a few times around here ,that most folks wouldn't no a good sounding radio if they heard one ? Hmmm ....Good Luck and have fun .....if it really doesn't mean that much to you ? I really wouldn't run out and buy a O-Scope to fast. (-:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.