• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden 78 or cobra 29 ??

B

BOOTY MONSTER

in a non SSB CB radio that is currently being sold new is either better than the other for the foundation for a good tech to do a tune/alignment and maybe a echo board ? any differences in the lighted/weather band versions of each models linup other than just the +/- features ? is there something better in a new non export non SSB mobile radio than the 29 or 78 ?

BOOTY MONSTER said:
in a non SSB CB radio that is currently being sold new is either better than the other for the foundation for a good tech to do a tune/alignment and maybe a echo board ? any differences in the lighted/weather band versions of each models linup other than just the +/- features ? is there something better in a new non export non SSB mobile radio than the 29 or 78 ?

I'm still trying to figure out what you either asked or stated? My best guess is that you want to know is there something new and better in the 11 meter radios that DOES NOT have SSB and are better (chassi) than the 29 or 78 that a good tech would like to play around with.

I don't have a clue. But I'm looking forward to the new Galaxy 939. What I have witnessed at keydowns is the 29 LTD seems to be the radio of choice. So with that I bought a new modified 29 LTD.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Now out of curiousity how many of you open up your radios and start doing work with your soldering iron? I was nervous as hell when I opened up my Galaxy 93T and adjusted the DK on the 3 different power settings. Now I'm afraid I'm gonna try and do more and start ruining radios!!

basically im asking if theres a more dependable AM CB radio than the uniden 78 or cobra 29 (new , not the grants and older philipino models) that tunes up nicely (dont want to kill it early squeezing every last watt out of it) . i wont tune it myself but i have 4 places where id feel safe getting it from and having them do the work . no swing kit or super crap pack .

Crap is in the eye's of the beholders. I personally like the older ones better , the 29 and 76 are basically the same radios . the weather boards are what they are but the radios all seem to tune and align and receive the same to me.I have never been much of a fan as far as there noise blanker's are concerned , but yet they are surely better then other radios I've used in the past. Weather or not they are the same as the 25/66/68 model Uniden boarded radios ? I prefer there ANLs/NBs over the 29/76 boards. They will all take echo boards one way or the other.(best echo board for me ? The TRB-1 by RF-Limited /Magnum) I couldn't tell you about Galaxy AM only CB's ? all though I haven't heard anything bad about them ,some have the 8719 PLL which I think is great ! AM skip has always been best on the lower freqs (when it's in anyway)and Expo boards are hard to come by nowadays. I find all of the Uniden AM radios to be good decent AM only CB radios along with the cobra 29s and 25s. Take your pick ! Pound for pound the Uniden 68 for about 50.00 bucks refurbed even, you can't beat ! those radios have some of the best receive of any CB AM only radio I've heard next to some of the older schooled models. I've seen them do 6 watts to 25 pep without a sweat at 100% modulation ballparked ! I think I personally like to believe that Uniden still makes a damned good cb radio ! Like Astatic doing away with the Mighty D-104s ? Why Uniden ever discontinued The Grants is beyond me ? but I suppose that's just another story and we would also be talking about SSB as well. Now IM basically talking about a CB radios that will usually be illegally tuned up , and frankly , I don't care how it's tuned or by whom , not my problem. Uniden still makes fine cb AM only radios anyway I look at it. I will still take any older model of all of the above compared to todays models. The question here almost sounds more aimed at a tech's opinion rather then a users , but even they will ask for a radio check from time to time ;)

I would buy the uniden. Good audio Good signal And ive seen Someone here on the forum get 28 watts out of the 68xl I think the only difference between the Xl and the elites are they have weather band and back lighting.

thanks guys . ive been leaning twoards the unidens (especally with the rebates) and just wanted some other opinions .

T-bone said:
My 29 LTD is supposed to do 12 watts. It was bought here.

http://www.chargercharger.com/RadioCovers.html

but built here.

http://www.rrcom.com/sales/radios/29ltdse.html

R & R is blacklisted all over the internet. They are a hack shop.

R&R Communications Inc.
the dustmod kit........
"Removal Of The AMC Limiter Is Necessary"....no confusion here. their own words right on the page. (http://www.rrcom.com/dustin/dustmodkit.html)
located in Wilmington, Delaware.
Folder

and here's their latest "brain fart" in their tips section. "Most AM CB radios, when tuned for maximum output power, will swing backwards on a Bird meter. This is as true a reading as you can get. (yeah, right) Unlike the Bird meter all other meters will swing forward giving you a false reading." (i guess according to rrcom the pep adapter kit for the Bird provides false readings) http://www.rrcom.com/tip/swingkit.html

the reason that their Bird is swinging backwards is because without the peak-reading adapter installed the Bird is absolutely useless for peak envelope power measurements, you dopes! and 12 watts of carrier is too close to saturation to provide any longevity from radios configured in this manner, much less any usable talk power in the sidebands of an am signal, as is evidenced by the number of these pieces of crap turning up on repair benches all over the country. use your Birds for fm transmitter power measurements and keep your technically deficient, overpriced modifications to yourself, or install the adapter and watch your Bird provide the same "false" readings that you claim every other meter does. what a con job.

My preference between the 78 and 29 would be the 29. If I didn't need the higher top-end power that those 2 will give, I'd pick one of the 40-ch SSB units made by Galaxy, which have much better receiver circuits.

T-bone said:
My 29 LTD is supposed to do 12 watts.

R+R's website states that they do not use PEP meters. They even go so far as to say that PEP meters lie about power levels, which I interpret to mean that they think those super-high-end, $10,000+ hyper-accurate PEP-reading HP-Agilent digital systems are junk. To me, that would put into question just about anything they'd tell me.

Here's one specific example, quoted from their ad page for the 29 mentioned in this thread:

14 Watts PEP True Forward Power ( Bird Model 43 No PEP Kit)

Even if the worst thing they did with that statement was to mis-represent the average power reading they are giving as being PEP (even when the same statement states that their meter was NOT reading PEP), it still calls into question anything else they might happen to state as being fact.

For reference, see This tip page of theirs, along with the link to their 29 ad

By the way, the 29 does more than 12 watts PEP straight out of the box. In the average vehicle, running at about 14-14.5 volts, they'll actually do around 14-16 or so with no tuning.[/b]

"14 Watts PEP True Forward Power ( Bird Model 43 No PEP Kit)"

"Even if the worst thing they did with that statement was to mis-represent the average power reading they are giving as being PEP (even when the same statement states that their meter was NOT reading PEP), it still calls into question anything else they might happen to state as being fact."

using the test equipment listed above AVERAGE POWER is the only measurement that can be made. contrary to the confusion introduced by this "bogus measurement standard" the Cobra 29 suitably configured will produce 40WPEP or 15WAVG with a fully modulated carrier envelope. the carrier levels associated with these figures will dictate the modulation depth. at 40WPEP the required carrier level would be at or slightly above 10W for a modulation depth of less than or equal to 100% regardless of which of the two methods are used.

scroll to the table in the middle of the page.
http://www.firecommunications.com/hlsos.html

if algebra isn't your forte' you can use this information to convert AVG POWER to PEP and PEP back into AVG power. it only works with carriers MODULATED to a depth of +/- 100%.

15WAVG X 2.66 = 40WPEP
40WPEP / 2.66 = 15WAVG

there is no such measurement standard as PEP True Forward Power.

bigred222 said:
Hey Freecell Why is Clay's On your blacklist????
If you'd like a reason to bust them Id be more than Happy to shoot you an 8.1 megapixel picture of my 2547's board.

Simple answer without going into a technical response.
They are a hack shop.
Notice a trend here? Bozo's sponsors?

If you read that forum, red flags should be all over the place.

He doesn't need a hi-res pic to see what is wrong with your radio.

Toodles,
Librium

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.