• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 78XL and RFX95??

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
I know from what I've seen the older 78XL model is still thru hole (the 78LT and LTX are SMT), and Bells did a few installs of the RFX75 back in 2012-2013.

Anyone see any issues with an RFX95 on the back of the 78XL.

It's either that or run the RM203. But I'm kinda diggin the all in one for mobile.

I have did a couple RFX75's on Cobra 29's and they work great. Basically the same radio as the PC78. Actually the PC78 has better receive.

So in your opinion would you do a Shoctkey (sp) mod on the 78XL or just leave alone??

Any thoughts on using the Dynamic Squelch or CH9 switch for the RFX95 amp "switch". ?

The 78XL is new in box for $120. (Limited choices for older model). Which may seem steep but has Uniden quality over the newer Cobra 29 LTD or Chrome model from what I've been reading. I was originally thinking C29 Chrome and doing this. Or just a variable on the C29 Chrome or LTD. but all pricing works out about the same.

Also throwing feelers out for competent techs that can set this up without killing the radio or RFX95 in the process.

The new cobra 29's seem to be pretty poor compared to the old Cobra 29's. They have solder joint problems due to the holes in the board being too big. Also channel selectors are smaller than the volume squelch Pot and very cheep and flimsy. You can not turn the RFX75 on and off because the final in the radio is removed. But the dynamic squelch control is a useless feature and I always repurpose that switch. The AD203 can be turned on and off though because that is a amplifier and the factory final drives it.

Reactions: CB590
The new cobra 29's seem to be pretty poor compared to the old Cobra 29's. They have solder joint problems due to the holes in the board being too big. Also channel selectors are smaller than the volume squelch Pot and very cheep and flimsy. You can not turn the RFX75 on and off because the final in the radio is removed. But the dynamic squelch control is a useless feature and I always repurpose that switch. The AD203 can be turned on and off though because that is a amplifier and the factory final drives it.

I noted on Bells videos he uses the radios finals for non powered RFX95 and then kicks on the 95 via switch and drives to like 80-85w. Without he's getting like 20w without the RFX95 being on. His options for the RFX95 install on say the Cobra 29 says mosfet install and then the RFX95 install.

I noted on Bells videos he uses the radios finals for non powered RFX95 and then kicks on the 95 via switch and drives to like 80-85w. Without he's getting like 20w without the RFX95 being on. His options for the RFX95 install on say the Cobra 29 says mosfet install and then the RFX95 install.
The 95 must be a different beast.

I managed to get a NOS 78XL and RFX-95HD today off the "bay". Both show shipped as well directly to my normal tech.

Selling my Uniden 980/203 combo to offset this cost some. I just want a basic AM rig I guess for my truck. Classic Uniden look with a kick should do the trick.

Be a week or two. Will report back with results.

Reactions: Slowmover
That’s a classic Super Trucker
(mean well by saying this)

No splatta? No matta!

What every hand out on the road has wanted the past forty years.

You nailed it.

1). Lit Sirio BEEG BULL antenna on roof
2). Chrome radio case & bracket.
3). Chrome RK56 mic cover with jewel.
4). Mic hung from three points on ceiling.

Grab and gab from just over-had.

(Hell yes I would).

— Always say it’s just a truckstop Radio you got with “points” (our fuel cards: no cash laid out). Some cranky tech in Armadillo touched it up years ago. Forgot you had it.

“Does it sound alright?”

(Have heard that a thousand times, ha!)

Last edited:
That’s a classic Super Trucker
(mean well by saying this)

No splatta? No matta!

What every hand out on the road has wanted the past forty years.

You nailed it.

1). Lit Sirio BEEG BULL antenna on roof
2). Chrome radio case & bracket.
3). Chrome RK56 mic cover with jewel.
4). Mic hung from three points on ceiling.

Grab and gab from just over-had.

(Hell yes I would).

— Always say it’s just a truckstop Radio you got with “points” (our fuel cards: no cash laid out). Some cranky tech in Armadillo touched it up years ago. Forgot you had it.

“Does it sound alright?”

(Have heard that a thousand times, ha!)

Was entertaining chrome case swap.

Managed to grab cheap Ford Escape today. Should be ready by Tuesday. Have to toss around antenna ideas. Thinking Wilson 5000. Plug and go.

Reactions: Slowmover
Was entertaining chrome case swap.

Managed to grab cheap Ford Escape today. Should be ready by Tuesday. Have to toss around antenna ideas. Thinking Wilson 5000. Plug and go.

— Sirio 5000 gets the nod from former w-5000 users.

— Mobile coax choke thread has some ideas.

www.k0bg.com for a review of mobile install.

— WM Radio ClearSpeech Speaker thread (Power ain’t nothing without the ears to go with it)

— to my mind, the RK56 mic is an automatic purchase with that radio

— Harbor Freight APACHE 3800 Transport Case for unit & original gear + second mike + speaker + mag mount antenna base. Spare fuses and types of power cords. (PVC tube for whip).

A cardboard box isn’t storage or transport.

What you have is a keeper.
I wouldn’t let it go.

That’s as classic as it gets.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.