• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 78XL and RFX95??

I just switched from a Wilson to a Sirio 5000 mag mount. Seems great so far. But it is a lot taller than the wilsons. The wilsons quality isn’t what it used to be. 2 Wilson’s in 21/2 years I’ve had enough. So I’m giving the Sirio a try. So far I’m happy but it’s only been a couple of weeks

Might do a side metal mount and 102" whip.

Or side mount and remount my 5' FireStik II that I've had for like 3 years. No issues and low SWR like 1.2:1 or something.

Lil Wil in budget, Sirio 5000 for $100 not as much.

Metal bracket for like $20 and new coax for sure in budget and just reuse the 5' FireStik.

Reactions: Slowmover
102” whip would be the most fun.

5’ top load the most (yawn) practical.

Look forward to pics. Install of radio and antenna. It’s been a pleasure to think about this rig as I’ve rolled PA and MD today.

Hell, I even took my own advice and moved the mic closer

Do you folks have the 5000PL or 5000 "Bull"?

I was thinking if I went that route the triple magnet would be best for it.

Howza bout the 7’, El Presidente Texas?

327A6446-2A59-4D7E-A8D4-65903B2EA31A.jpeg

Aboard a Workman Starship Launcher?

(Yes, really)

I was just at Walcott Radio a couple of weeks ago. That antenna now rare to find. (Thread this site). Had several on the wall rack.

Otherwise the 5000 without lights. Black foldover base load. On their 145 mount. See DNJ Radio.

Current setup. 5' FireStik 2 and the radio is inside. got battery light to go away. Had bad AC relay drawing 3.22 amps when car was off.

Slightly notched rear tail light. Drilled some holes and use FS mount. We'll see how it goes. 12' RG8X due in tomorrow hopefully to test SWR and such.

58C20F2D-FFD5-4C06-AEEF-9586F7F81196.jpeg

View attachment 38288

(Yes, really)

I was just at Walcott Radio a couple of weeks ago. That antenna now rare to find. (Thread this site). Had several on the wall rack.

Otherwise the 5000 without lights. Black foldover base load. On their 145 mount. See DNJ Radio.

Some are repeating moisture in the Presidente antenna coil area.

I think that location VERY hard to beat. Easily hidden and out of artillery range (coffee spills).

Mobile, I like the use of the S-Meter to give me a read relative to others, and, to what I THINK I’m hearing.

Visual reference points.

Highways can parallel and cross over the one I’m on. Skip can show up unannounced. Etc.

The Meter is only thing I miss being able to see.

I started or added to an S-Meter thread last year or so. How accurate is an S-Meter neither here nor there. How linear, barely. It’s usefulness is worth having.

— It’s a listening aid to HELP separate reports while at 67-mph.

Receive strength isn’t always indicative of distance. But with multiples of “talk” occurring, it doesn't take long to figure out.

The signals of some others strengthen and weaken predictably. Others do not.

I can be traveling faster and they are behind me. Or, I can be overtaking them. That’s Scenario One.

Scenario Two is that they are in opposite direction.

Three, on an adjacent road and could be as in either of above.

Four, stationary off of the road. Sounds easy, but not if your road is in a large bend around them.

Five, (all sorts of possible combinations of above).

It’s when reports of an immediate road hazard have surfaced that comms with others will matter most. Reaching local drivers is priority.

No guarantee they can hear you if you get much farther. One may have to accept two U-turns (legal) to re-aim one’s antenna, so to speak.

Immediately pulling over and working tactics per routing is to NOT accept the day is a loss given some problems.

An alternative route is a decision made ahead of time. Road, load, traffic, geography & weather.

S-Meter part of being prepared to jump on alternatives.

Twice this past week, alone.

Being able to “read” S-Meter the only downside to console-rear position, IMO. I already can (by feel) adjust radio to “local”, relatively. With Skip come in the back door, it’s no longer so simple.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

View attachment 38288

4373-1473024082-58ba2b4160778a175e1e668277a475eb.jpg

This one is just one magnet better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.