• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 78XL

mag69

Oct 2, 2005
MI
Is there a difference between the 78 and 76? I'm looking for mods for the 78XL and can only find them for the 76 or Cobra 29, A link or any power mods that involves changing caps, resistors and so on would be great!

SO which is the better radio, I like the Uniden and its cheaper then the 29 LTD and has more features then the 29 and also has Dynamic squelch is that like sound tracker for uniden?And thanks for the info on the DTB site but why cant you replace or remove caps out of the uniden, I would think since uniden did make the corba boards for years that it would be the same?

mag69 said:
SO which is the better radio, I like the Uniden and its cheaper then the 29 LTD and has more features then the 29 and also has Dynamic squelch is that like sound tracker for uniden?And thanks for the info on the DTB site but why cant you replace or remove caps out of the uniden, I would think since uniden did make the corba boards for years that it would be the same?

The dyna sq is not like the sound tracker , it is simply a auto-sq switch ....I suppose they just needed to fill the hole in the radio ? kind of like the delta tune .....Hmmm ....weather or not the 76 might be slightly stronger then the 78 ......it is only slight all the same ......really not enough to write home to mom about. I do find the noise blankers /anl's to be better then the 29s on the 76s/78s .......You can add a cap/resistor mod to the radio ......some like them and others don't .......not the perfect science if you will. (if this is what your looking for ?) I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but there is a jumper that runs along side of the finals heat sink right in front of the final itself , you can tune the radio fairly easy , the slug right in front of the final can be turned or taken out completely (the slug that is) for bringing up the watts , either VR3 or VR4 should be your modulation (you will be able to tell on your meter) , you can bring that up to 100%......there will be no need to clip anything in the radio !! .....if you got all that right ? you should see 5 to 20 or 6 to 24 or so with the 100% modulation ........now you want a cap and resistor for what IM guessing to run your amp with ? ...You can take out the jumper I was talking about earlier ......from the top side of the board where you took it out you can place a 1000uf 35volt cap with the (negative side facing the final) now turn the radio over and place anywhere between a 50 to 68 ohm resistor (I like 1 watters) between the leads of the cap you just put in (the resistors will determin your DK) ......this should give you anywhere between a 1.5 to 2 watt DK with pretty much all the same swing you originally got from the radio after you tuned it. To be perfectly honest with you ......you really don't have to go through all of that .......if it is a amplifier that is in mind ? .....alls you really need to do is bring down the watts to around 2 by the same slug we talked about earlier (opposite direction) and then bring the audio to 100% ......you will now see about a 2 watt DK with a swing of 8 ......your amplifier will and should take care of the rest .......I would guerss to say that this applacation would be closer to the perfect science. (-: Have fun !! ......that's what really matters !! Your cap/resistor mod should look something like this ...... Top Side.....Bottom Side.....Good Luck !! Switch Kit

Thanks Switch kit for all thr great info, My next purchures will be the Uniden 78XL, I'm not running a amp but I want to get the MAX out of the radio I can, So if I just put the cap in and not the risistor will that increase the power without lowering the dead key? Thanks again
Mag69

I wont argue the point here ......a simple tune will yeld you more mag69 .....if you really want MORE ? .....I would suggest a small amp of some kind........I personally like these kinds of mods but I run power also to double my troubles in others minds. If I was only running a radio by itself ? it would simply have a tune up ......no more or no less.You can change the final to a bigger one and get a little more out of it,(I personally think thats a waste of time) some do what is called a 50 watt mod (some will and some won't do that much) I find this mod to be slightly helpful to maybe truckers that can't run power, like I said .....a small amp like a KL60 about the size of a pack of cigarettes would do more and cost less ran on about 1 watt or so from the radio. Good luck M69

So Switch kit what is this 50 watt mod? see I running a box truck out of Detroit to Flint every day but a different truck every day so I can't run a amp in the truck so I need to get as much out of the radio I can, I have a radio bag and a Wilson 5000 mag mount and now I need a good powerful radio, And I'm willing to spend the $$$ to do it without a amp.
So thanks again to Switch Kit and DTB Radio and any info would be greatly appreicated.

like I said M-69 ..a little KL60 would yeld you about 60 to 70 watts pep with a 1 to 1.5 DK from your radio ....about the size of a pack of smokes and can be ran off a cigarette lighter if need be .....there are other radios out there that will yeld you more but they will cost you more and they are export type radios that are simply converted over to the 11 meter band (CB) just depends on how much you want to spend ? There are many that will yeld you 50 watts pep or more without a sweat. Im really not up on the 78XL but they are similar to the Cobra 29s , if you were to send the radio out for a 50 watt so called mod ? last I heard it was 60.00 dollars and in your case it would be another 20 or so for round trip shipping ,add that to the price of the radio and now your getting closer to buying a radio that will do 50 watts pep by itself with a lot more features to boot .....you see what IM getting at here ? I just went through a guys radio on the week end , it was a 76XL (-: ......he had paid 60.00 dollars for a 50 watt mod ...yes it had the 1969 final as well as the 2314 driver .....but his radio was only doing 4 to 24 watts pep ??? God as my witness !! and the audio was off the scale !!! no clip but it had a resistor inline with the limiter diode .....What's up with that ? !!(I could understand that if it was for 100% modulation but it wasn't) Well ......folks just do things differently I suppose. Yeap ..they call it a 50 watt mod for those kinds of AM only radios .....and as I said earlier , some might make that mark and others won't .......some are just better then others ....but 9 times out of 10 a radio will do that without changing a damned thing in it !! (4 to 24 that is) or close to it anyway. I guess now we will start to read the testamonials ? (-: It's all good . Different strokes for different folks......as long as it works and folks are happy ? that's all that really matters to me.DBT will pretty much tell you the truth M69 ......swing kits and many other mods are just wham wham's and zoo zoo's .....yes they work and yes they will drive things harder ....I didn't say better (-: but like I said before .....if your running power on the side ? you really don't need anything special other then a lower DK from the radio and your audio set just right to get the job done as cleanly and clearly as possible or just having your radio tuned up for the best performance that it can give.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.