• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden 980 discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
the bottom line is what the hell do you expect in the $75.00 - 100.00 arena in this day and age ???? especially with a great warranty...xxx

Reactions: 222DBFL
New on amazon for 74.51 free ship
I must confess that Uniden contacted me a week or two back, sorry this wasn't forwarded to the forum. I actually bought one from Amazonia back last summer, the protective cover was missing and it had a couple scratches on face plate so back it went. Mike repaired my TRC-485 so I'll prolly stick with it* for a while as it gets all the contacts and my 959 gets none on ssb.
*used as a base

Attachments

• radios.JPG
    radios.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 14
I must confess that Uniden contacted me a week or two back, sorry this wasn't forwarded to the forum. I actually bought one from Amazonia back last summer, the protective cover was missing and it had a couple scratches on face plate so back it went. Mike repaired my TRC-485 so I'll prolly stick with it* for a while as it gets all the contacts and my 959 gets none on ssb.
*used as a base
Is the 980 dead in the water?

Yep. For the money these radios, being the uniden 980, aren't a bad radio. No they aren't big swinging audio monster radios, but they do offer clean and clear audio. And with a good amp, who needs a bunch of watts out of the radio. From what I have heard, the LDMOS amps don't need much drive at all to make good power!! And that is clean as well. So put this radio down all you want, but for the money I guarantee you won't find a new radio with the same features and rock solid stability on SSB. You want an AM radio, get a cobra 29 and be done. You want something with SSB and AM, and some other nice features, get one of these radios. Again, for the money they are hard to beat. Just keep your hands and screwdrivers out of them, or at least don't run them at full tilt and they will work just fine. JMHO's. Good day.

Yep. For the money these radios, being the uniden 980, aren't a bad radio. No they aren't big swinging audio monster radios, but they do offer clean and clear audio. And with a good amp, who needs a bunch of watts out of the radio. From what I have heard, the LDMOS amps don't need much drive at all to make good power!! And that is clean as well. So put this radio down all you want, but for the money I guarantee you won't find a new radio with the same features and rock solid stability on SSB. You want an AM radio, get a cobra 29 and be done. You want something with SSB and AM, and some other nice features, get one of these radios. Again, for the money they are hard to beat. Just keep your hands and screwdrivers out of them, or at least don't run them at full tilt and they will work just fine. JMHO's. Good day.
Right on 222 I was just wondering if they are indeed discontinued.
I might just buy a Johnny 3 one day(export/EU), got a handy FSM/ schematic here, just too bad it has no ssb mode.

I will stick to my old Grant and 29 LTD for now, one day I will see a smt radio that I "must have" lol, I don't mind the AM on a 148/Grant though to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
I got my 980 for free, essentially. Redeemed some Pilot/Flying J points for it, while it was on sale. I got a SiriusXM receiver, at the same time, also on sale. And that had a nice rebate with it, too. I basically got paid to take a couple of big ticket items, lol.

No, the 980 isn't a big, bad radio, but paired with an RM 203, and a decent antenna setup, you can have some clear conversations. I was talking to a guy last night, that was convinced that I was running a big radio; he was pretty impressed with it. Other reports have also been good.

Bottom line, I got the thing to do a specific job, which it does well. That is, communicate with other drivers nearby. The SSB feature is purely for my entertainment, and is not work related; in other words, it's not necessary. But, I find that it works well, there, too.

If I decide to get a monster radio (because, you know, if you've seen one radio, you want them all, lmao), I will definitely keep this one as a backup.

Is the 980 dead in the water?
I don't think so, the factory is who hollered me they had more. From what I've seen on youtube*
they may have made some internal changes but I think it still beeps.
That McKinley looks pretty cool but I'm no authority at all, just a mudduck.

I don't think so, the factory is who hollered me they had more. From what I've seen on youtube*
they may have made some internal changes but I think it still beeps.

You can spray Febreze all over a turd, but it's still a turd.

As I understand it they are POS's plain and simple. Too much noise on reciveve, weather radio noise and recieve insanely poor! Bias set too high routinely at factory causing them to blow the final and driver even unmodified all the time. Weak audio on transmit. Very poor adjacent channel rejection and on and on and on........

The 980 is a sick pathetic joke compared to the Uniden Grant XL or XLT from the early 1990's. The President GrantIII and Lincoln II both based on Uniden boards are not that great as they ship from the OEM. I hear they can be though with some work from really good technicians.

The Display on the Uniden CB's are fairly dumb and unmodifiable. The CPU/PLL is also not ver friendly and really not effecient and poorly designed for anything other than being hard to modify.

I have yet to see anything that represents a huge step up from the 1980's AR-3500 or early 1990's RCI2950 or 1990's President Lincoln. I am still waiting.

We have black box radio's with dirty 4 transistor linear with lots of harmonics and cheap Chi-Com BJT transistors. The Galaxy and COnnex radio's are a step backwards since Ranger took over production. The new President Lincoln II and Grant III are both not advancements at all. The RCI2950DX has lots of features and freq. coverage but poor quality control and insane noise on receive side and the cheapest encoder's and buttons that money can buy.

No one makes an modern SSB CB radio that is worth owning. Galaxy is crap for anyne that wants to really talkon SSB because they are not stabil on SSB because of the cheap parts and lack of crystal filtering that is tight. The RCI2950 is great on SSB but is noisy as hell it will make your ear's bleed. The quality control on most of these radio's is a joke too. The Anytone OEM has a good Uniden Board design and good QC but a lot of the parts that go into them are questionable and end in early death. You also have the problem of obvious issues if you attempt to put them into legit Amateur service you see all kinds of issues show up. That said they are better than anything that carries an FCC Type acceptance if looking for SSB in a new radio. Sadly not all of the cap's are electrolytic cans with leg's a lot of them are SMD so it is not practical to recap them completely to attempt to eliminate early death!

I try to buy old school SSB CB's and just bite the bullet and recap and try to get ahold of NOS obsolete parts etc.....The alternative would be to spend big on amateur gear and pay for it to be modified.

Dude you are so right! These new uniden radios are cheaply made and are NOT tech friendly. They are a toss it in the trash radios that cannot be fixed by most techs as its all SMT. Plus you cant do much with them as far as mods and enhancements... Ill stick to my old school stuff..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.