• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

If I get the KL-203 amp and install on the 980 do I just turn down the dead key down to 1 or below? Is that all it takes or is there more to it? And will it make a big difference the am performance? Input power:0.5-10w am/fm. 2-20w ssb/cw
Output power: 100wmax on am/fm. 200wmax on ssb/cw
Will this damage my 980 in any way? Thanks for any help with this.

Thanks alot...I actually did mean the KL-203.now to figure out which way to turn the dead key...counter clockwise or clockwise.

Hook everything up and run it through a meter. Set the SWR/hook up dummy load and then turn on the amp. Adjust the pots until you get good output from the amp. I set mine low on AM, 20w dk-mid 80s pep depending on which end of 11m it is.

How do ya get the output power to 10+ watts on the 980? I have 2 of them and the most I can get out of either of them is around 3-5 watts on AM. Good detailed information would be great!! Please help

That stinks lol. I've heard of some people getting them to modulate up to 10 watts from a 3 watt dead key. I love the features and looks of the radio but neither of mine seem to perform very well. That's the reason I'm wanting to try and get the power up a little.

If I get the KL-203 amp and install on the 980 do I just turn down the dead key down to 1 or below? Is that all it takes or is there more to it? And will it make a big difference the am performance? Input power:0.5-10w am/fm. 2-20w ssb/cw
Output power: 100wmax on am/fm. 200wmax on ssb/cw
Will this damage my 980 in any way? Thanks for any help with this.

If you turn the AM power down too low it will give you a rf fail report. Antenna fail report and swr meter won't function correctly. I turned my 980 down to 1 watt and it failed all the test. Turned it back up to around 2 watts and it passed all test. so if you turn it down to 1 watt and everything fails don't panic just turn it back up a little bit.

They are a good radio to drive a small amp, but to use in the mobile on SSB they are under powered, not much skip talking without a little help. On the other side, though, it's receive is great and audio is crystal clear according to my locals. I ran one as a base for a few weeks and liked it a lot

Attachments

• uniden 980 3-25-14.jpg
    uniden 980 3-25-14.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 1 person
I know where the 3 pots are for SSB, modulation and AM power. I've tuned them all but I can only get the radio to put out MAYBE 5 watts AM and about 8-9 on SSB. Love the looks and features it has but their WAY under powered.

They are a good radio to drive a small amp, but to use in the mobile on SSB they are under powered, not much skip talking without a little help. On the other side, though, it's receive is great and audio is crystal clear according to my locals. I ran one as a base for a few weeks and liked it a lot

My goodness, I can talk all over the world with the 980 with just a bump to the 203 alc pot. Even mobile with the Sirio Turbo 5000. Deadkey I left alone at 4 watts. Swings to 10 on AM and swingin' to over 20 on ssb with the Moxon at 30 feet. For a $116.00 radio it's hard to beat. Spot on frequency out of the box and like you said, great audio.;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.