• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

I know where the 3 pots are for SSB, modulation and AM power. I've tuned them all but I can only get the radio to put out MAYBE 5 watts AM and about 8-9 on SSB. Love the looks and features it has but their WAY under powered.

The antenna is key to getting the power up on this radio. A good quality antenna either base or mobile and it should clip 20 whiskeys easily on SSB. I need to add the the swr is critical. On the Sirio, Vertical base whip and the Moxon my swr's are 1.0 to 1.03 at the most. All of the power is screamin' out of the antennas with pretty much nothing coming back into the radio.

Anyone know what points the volt meter probes need to go to check the final bias voltage? And proper way to adjust? Would like to make sure it is under 4 volts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.