• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

channel mods

Anyone find any mods for this yet?

I found this off youtube. I was not able to get any extra freq with this. Mabe there more to it like a wire that has to be clipped first then it will work or possible different combanations of buttons have to be pushed

1) press the AM/USB/LSB & menu button together and turn radio on

2) Press menu button 4 times until you see v*.** (mine says v1.03) you can display something else by pressing talkback button (possibly a checksum - not sure)

3 )Press the weather button until reset appears on lcd.

4) to enter the reset press menu button radio will restart on ch19

980 SSB

A good point Jon, No FM basically means the radio in this configuration was not designated for the European market so why incorporate the FM. The inclusion of FM would make it not type acceptable for the US CB market. Maybe Uniden decided there was a place in the market for a street legal 40ch CB and went after it. And in the process shut the door on modifying it.
Everybody needs at least one legal CB on the bench when the FCC come calling.....Well for you guys living in a police state that is!!

A good point Jon, No FM basically means the radio in this configuration was not designated for the European market so why incorporate the FM. The inclusion of FM would make it not type acceptable for the US CB market. Maybe Uniden decided there was a place in the market for a street legal 40ch CB and went after it. And in the process shut the door on modifying it.
Everybody needs at least one legal CB on the bench when the FCC come calling.....Well for you guys living in a police state that is!!

Got That Right Dave. Sure would be nice if it went from 41 to say 27.605

Hi Guys, I'm new here and definitely a greenhorn on CB and I do have a 980SSB, it's actually pretty nice. I sent it out to Snake Radios to maximize it's potential and I wasn't sure what SRC can do about this new radio. But here's the video of my 980SSB by Snake Radios.

CB RADIO BEARCAT UNIDEN 980 SSB TUNED AND MODDED - YouTube

The video blacks out from 2:16 to 4:00, just fast forward and enjoy the vid.

Thanks and it's on its way to me now:drool:

Stogie Joe

Hi Guys, I'm new here and definitely a greenhorn on CB and I do have a 980SSB, it's actually pretty nice. I sent it out to Snake Radios to maximize it's potential and I wasn't sure what SRC can do about this new radio. But here's the video of my 980SSB by Snake Radios.

Stogie Joe

He needs a dummy load.;)

Stogie Joe

Hi,
How pricey is the work at Snake Radios?

The last time I needed radio work done was 10 years ago on a HR 2510 and Lincoln radio. I used Doc in Buffalo,NY. I was very happy with the work and the prices were very fair. Doc also didn't try to nickel and dime me with modifications that were not necessary. Sold the 2510 later. Still have the Lincoln, its a keeper (y) Not sure if Doc is still servicing radios?
Although after seeing this on Ebay one has to wonder if Doc has moved to Florida?
NEW CONNEX 4400 HP PRO TUNED BY THE DOC OF N.Y. | eBay

Hi,
How pricey is the work at Snake Radios?

The last time I needed radio work done was 10 years ago on a HR 2510 and Lincoln radio. I used Doc in Buffalo,NY. I was very happy with the work and the prices were very fair. Doc also didn't try to nickel and dime me with modifications that were not necessary. Sold the 2510 later. Still have the Lincoln, its a keeper (y) Not sure if Doc is still servicing radios?
Although after seeing this on Ebay one has to wonder if Doc has moved to Florida?
NEW CONNEX 4400 HP PRO TUNED BY THE DOC OF N.Y. | eBay

I think the price is fair for the kind of work that he did for my radio (align, tune and mod) I paid $40 not including shipping. He also doesn't sell you mods that you don't need or mods that are not good for your radio.

He seemed a little confused as to what mods he could do to the radio. I think I would just do power and modulation adjustments for now, then wait for further info to become available.

Reactions: 1 person
He seemed a little confused as to what mods he could do to the radio. I think I would just do power and modulation adjustments for now, then wait for further info to become available.

Actually he was a bit hesitant to do a mod since this was his first time on this particular radio (he didn't want to push it too far). I knew going in that this was his first BC980SSB mod, even though he could only open up the coarse clarifier for now and it's just a matter of time before other mods can be done.

I just got the radio and will be testing it on the road this weekend.

Finally got to hear the good ol NEW 980SSB on the air today. 440 outta Connecticut was talkin on 39LSB on it & it sounded pretty Damn impressive! Not sure if he was runnin an amp with it or not,but it sounded really good for a CB. I had him spot on freq with my TS440SAT Kenwood & my 746 non-Pro Icom & my trusty ol Omega Force AND the ol Grant XL!!!! Shocked the Hell outta me for just a plain ol SSB CB mobile rig :cool: I just may have to get one afterall & yet I promised the wife I was done with CB's since I got my Ham ticket several years back 8-p Ha Ha

triple 4, 444, four hundred forty four, (not 440) mouth of the river, Middletown, CT. My buddy and great customer. I have his second 980 to mess with... adding an rfx75 to her sometime this week. Thanks for the flowers.... :D:D

Last edited:
Well when I got mine I had 2 frequency counters that both said it was dead on, that was a big surprise. I have gatten great reports with mine also with a stock coffin style mic and the stock mic also, after a tune I have to turn the mic gain down 1 segment on the display for it to sound great. If I have it up all the way I notice it picks up background noise when keyed so the chassis does have a ton of audio with no hacking or clipping.

980 ssb

I call Uniden the other day. Looks like they won't let out a schematic diagram for the 980, anybody here the same from them or get a differant answer. I wonder what there trying to hide maybe nothing who knows theses days.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.