• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN 980

What transistor does the 980 use in it's finals? I bought one new last September, took it on vacation and probably transmitted on it twice, and then it had no output when I hooked it up for the last WWDX contest. I assume the finals went and have since seen quite a few reviews about this happening to the 980 after 6 months or so.

I'm not sure the part number but I think the Mosfet final is only rated at 10 watts in this radio although I could be wrong. This may be the reason people are blowing the finals. I have turned power back to 8 watts SSB and have no heat issues now. And I've had mine for about 3 years now. It doesn't get hot anymore with the power backed down. Wish they would have used a good fet and driver as well, but then again look at the price. At least they are on freq. LOL

What transistor does the 980 use in it's finals? I bought one new last September, took it on vacation and probably transmitted on it twice, and then it had no output when I hooked it up for the last WWDX contest. I assume the finals went and have since seen quite a few reviews about this happening to the 980 after 6 months or so.

This>>> http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/s...rfdiscrete/siliconrfdiscrete_lv4/rd16hhf1.pdf

More here:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/uniden-980-ssb.140017/page-6

CB RadiosPronto said "What's cool is being able to walk out to the back yard or even the neighbor's house and still be a simple key up away from dropping a kilowatt from across the street."

I know it just "feels" weird looking at your base antenna, thinking about the RF exposure your in direct line with while keying, all the time hoping nothing goes into oscillation or thermal runaway in the shack :ROFLMAO:

I may stock up on some of these too...
UT8eHeBXXNdXXagOFbXf.jpg

The Cobra 200 GTL DX has one in the pre-drive:

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.