1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Uniden bc 980 ssb radio

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by cruiser, Feb 16, 2012.

1. cbradiomagazine.com

cbradiomagazine.com 2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana

2. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

The Stryker is a little too "Pimp My Ride" for my tastes. And everytime I hear the name, I think of the movie "Airplane", and Ted Striker, and that makes me quote lines like "Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffin' glue", and "Timmy, do you like gladiator movies"?

Ahhh... on topic, I like the looks and features of the new Uniden, and hope the performance is as good as some of their older SSB rigs. I will probably buy one if they ever make them. Wish I knew when that would be!

RT307

1 person likes this.
  3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I like the looks of it as well.

Sure would like to see a 10 meter variation down the road.

I have owned many different Uniden 10, and 11 meter rigs over the years and none of them let me down.

Sure would like to see a 10 meter variation.

4. cbradiomagazine.com

cbradiomagazine.com 2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana

I would guess we'll be seeing them pretty soon, once the 680 and 880 made it through the FCC process they hit the market pretty quickly afterwards.

5. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

well i will say im glad to see more front mic jacks. with smaller vehicles becoming the norm
    a front mic radio is easier to find a place for imho.the menu options im not sure how
    that will turn out driving down the road.if uniden has kept thier quaility it should be a winner.
    the stryker had some nice options i must admit.could have done without the multiple
    rodger beeps.
    back on the uniden did i see a 5 or 6 pin mic? i didnt see any channel changing buttons
    on the mic?

6. IMD262

IMD262 Well-Known Member

It cleared the FCC back in January and will be available in May.

Six pin

7. mechanic

mechanic Well-Known Member

From the pics posted on the FCC web page of the approved 980, the final looks to be just a single transistor.... (MOSFET?) :confused:
    The RF Gain knob has become the Clarifier with the RF as part of the channel / menu knob. ANL and NB are combined with the NB button as the mode select. The RF Gain button will activate the menu of the channel / menu with levels of 0 to 5 as the same with the mic gain with menu levels of 0 to 4. :eek: Can we say learning curve? :cry:
    Also the schematics and block diagram have been made industry private? :censored:
    I think the rig will do fine I just wonder how versatile it will be and what if Europe has this rig in the works?

73 mechanic

8. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

But will it have 6 roger beeps? :laugh: Seriously, I think this rig is cool. I really like that they chassis are getting smaller, but still have tons of features in them. I also agree with hotrod about the front mounted mic for tight installations. The menu functions aren't that bad if you use a rig daily. Once you get everything set, you are good to go. Still have to wonder what it will tune up to do... with a single mosfet?

RT307

9. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

If Cobra is building this Multi model, you can almost bet that a Multi model of the Uniden is right behind as well....
    It is About making money, and if a programming change is all that is needed to bring in more sales why not?
    It would not be a smart move to build a radio that can only be sold in the US when there is a Global market out there.
    ( note in the Vid, the sample radio was sent from Cobra Electronics in Chicago)

Cobra 29 LX EU Multi Standard CB Radio Review By M0OGY - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPxpkMQOiAY

Jeff

10. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

I know these are not SSB models, but I just can not see Cobra or Uniden making a US SSB model and not think about the UK/EU market when they are working on the build up of these models.

Cobra 29 LX EU Look Inside - YouTube

Built in DEC of 2011.

Jeff

11. Zman

Zman K9FON

Im hoping Cobra will see that Uniden has made a new SSB model and decide to do SOMETHING about thier floundering 148 GTL piece of crud or come out with a NEW SSB model and axe the 148.... Man that radio is WORTHLESS on SSB..
    I actually talked to a customer rep at Cobra back in January about the SSB issues with the new 148s and the rep told me that they know all about the SSB audio quality issues and they have -NO PLANS- to remedy the issue!!!!!! Thier answer was "Nobody will notice the difference on the air" (HA! thats what you think!) and that "Most people buy them to use on Am anyways!":eek::eek::eek::sad:

#26 Zman, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012