• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 880 - First Impressions

lol

were there is a will there is a way to mod any radio
i don't care if its smt or not.

Cool review! I am looking forward to newer technology in CB's. I have a JVC car stereo that allows me infinite color changes, so I am glad to seeing that make it over to CB's. I like being able to match the CB display to my dash lights at night. And the ability to dim things down is nice, too. I hope their SSB unit is as good as my trusty old Grant XL.

And SMT is here, like it or not. I see it as a pretty good move for manufacturers. I liken SMT to the introduction of fuel injection to US autos. Remember back in the mid 80's when they brought it out, and all the hot rodders were pissed because they said they couldn't be souped up? Well, hot rodders figured out how to hop 'em up, and so will CB shops. Whether it's a solder in board or tweaked software, who knows... but it will get done!

RT307

Uniden 880 mods

My first impression was the beep was very loud, especially on the external
speaker. The stock microphone had to go. I traded it for an Astatic 636L
Mic wiring was pretty easy using the pigtail as a guide.

4 PIN to 6 PIN

1 to 5 (blue&ground)

2 to 1 (white)

3 to 3 (red)

4 to 2 (black)

Both 4 and center 6 pins are not used.
This configuration should work for any 4 pin that can be plugged into the "pigtail".

I also installed an RF Limited BR-1 inside.
This setup provided some really nice audio over the stock mic with the ability to control volume through the mic gain feature.

So far the only solution for the "beep" is a switch to turn off the external
speaker.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen a pic or diagram on where the pots for AM deadkey or AMC for the 880 are located? I picked up one of these for my wife (she doesn't need SSB). After a little testing, her radio is only doing 3 watts deadkey and about 60 (ish) percent modulation. I'd like to at least get this puppy up to stock.

I bought this radio about a month ago... have it installed and confugured... i can hear others on the radio but im still having a transmitting issue... can anybody help me out here?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.