• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 880 - First Impressions

cbradiomagazine.com

2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana
Jan 3, 2007
Radio arrived today - nice styling, fairly compact size, newer styling on the microphone (6 pin). Comes with a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter if you want to use a 4 pin microphone with this radio.

Features are cool, memory, scan, memory scan, SWR/CAL, ANL/NB, variable talkback, variable microphone gain (4 levels), weather channels (7) w scan option and weather alert.

Change colors (7 options) you can change the colors for the day and night and can adjust brightness/contrast for both settings so you can have a red radio display at night, blue during the day, or green/blue, dim/bright, bright/bright, etc.

Also has the diagnostic features like Cobra LX LE, volt (gives reading), RF (pass/fail), Ant (pass/fail).

RF output out of the box was right at 4 watts (higher than most stock cb radios, they might be gambling with the FCC on that one if the factory starts setting them too high). Max swing around 9-10 watts, avg around 5-7. Modulation was okay, a little tame.

SMT inside, no pot for modulation as far as I can tell. So most people will probably add a power mike for more audio.

Nice radio for beginners, people looking for the newer styling. Mid-level and up will probably skip it because it isn't easily modded.

Here are the pics. Just finished the video showing all functions and menus - should have it on You Tube by tomorrow evening.

UnidenBearcat88013.jpg

UnidenBearcat88010.jpg

UnidenBearcat8806.jpg

UnidenBearcat8804.jpg

UnidenBearcat88016.jpg

UnidenBearcat8801.jpg

UnidenBearcat8802.jpg

Care to elaborate on modification procedure?
In my original post I was explaining that because it's SMT most of the people that liked being able to mod the Uniden 68/78's etc probably won't be wanting one of these. No variable pots inside except for meter adj's, sq, wx adj's.

I know what i am getting to get the cobra 29 out of the truck and make the set up in the truck look professional instead of having the cb stuck between the seats .

I'd buy one of these for my truck. Nice to see some smt in new cb radios.

What are the legions of "golden screwdriver trained techs" out there going to do now? No more clipping, snipping or running VR (whatever) wide open.

aaa1aa24.jpg
hope its a power mic

Hope they do it right.
Can't say that I've ever thought very much of the 'Cobra' power mics either. Prolly the worst power mic out there in the past - IMO. Perhaps Uniden can get on the ball with their power mics and do it justice. Otherwise, just a waste of plastic.

These 880 radios come with a noise-cancelling mic. That alone deserves its own review - IMO . . .

Last edited:
I'd buy one of these for my truck. Nice to see some smt in new cb radios.

What are the legions of "golden screwdriver trained techs" out there going to do now? No more clipping, snipping or running VR (whatever) wide open.

They're gonna have to learn how to write code and program so they can change the tables in the software. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.