1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB NPC or swing mod help

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by mattsowders1989, May 17, 2017.

1. 711

711 Well-Known Member

The standard variable deadkey mod like the ones used on all transformer modulated radios. Works awesome and sounds very good due to the lower deadkey.

2. Loyal Servant

Loyal Servant Well-Known Member

LeapFrog likes this.
  3. Sarasota Slim

Sarasota Slim Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well, that's interesting.

Assuming that guy DOES open source his findings, that would be cool. Not that I'd be inclined to play with it, myself (seems a little overly complicated), but it will make fun projects for others, who are so inclined.

4. 711

711 Well-Known Member

Radio is darlington modulated, like a 148. Havent found the BM yet. NPC will most likely be a diode/resistor combo and not the heavy swinger version either. Modulator is extremely sensitive so too much audio drive pushes it into extreme overmodulation.

Shadetree Mechanic and LeapFrog like this.
  5. Tim Chambers

Tim Chambers Member

Shoot me an email and I'll walk you through the mod for the 980 SSB

6. Tim Chambers

Tim Chambers Member

1n4148, cathode 2 center leg of am regulator, rearmost three-legged chip heatsink on the chassis.
    1 in 4148 signal diode, cathode to center leg of a m regulator which is the rearmost three-leg IC heatsink to the chassis. Add a 47 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in series to the anode, solder other end of resistor to positive leg of c26. Make sure to use shrink tubing. Opens up the swing quite nicely :)

Attached Files:

7. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Thanks for sharing these mods, I am going to get another 980 to play with.

8. Tim Chambers

Tim Chambers Member

You bet. I have picked up a lot of bits and pieces of information from this forum and another one and thought I would share some knowledge I've gained with everyone. Shoot me a call if you want a quick walk-through. I'm listed under tiny's CB shop. Happy modulating!

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  9. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

there is a guy by the name of chuck that sells a pretty impressive mod for the 980. at least it looks good on his videos.

10. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

11. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Looks like 4 or 5 wires. Its round like some kind of capacitor. Might have some kind of regulator inside.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

12. 711

711 Well-Known Member

Probably nothing more than an NPC mod. I’d buy it just to debunk . I did an NPC and a direct inject on my 980

Attached Files:

13. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

I remember seeing the channel king expansion board for the 980, wondered what ever happened to that project?

14. Tim Chambers

Tim Chambers Member

Don't ever buy anything that has the components hidden in epoxy or such, more than likely you're buying snake oil, all of the wires but two probably are not hooked up to anything inside the goop. put the diode and resistor in for your swing mod and you will be more than happy. If you want to have an even cleaner signal increase the resistance up to a hundred ohms.