• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB NPC or swing mod help

The standard variable deadkey mod like the ones used on all transformer modulated radios. Works awesome and sounds very good due to the lower deadkey.

Hmm. Well, that's interesting.

Assuming that guy DOES open source his findings, that would be cool. Not that I'd be inclined to play with it, myself (seems a little overly complicated), but it will make fun projects for others, who are so inclined.

Radio is darlington modulated, like a 148. Havent found the BM yet. NPC will most likely be a diode/resistor combo and not the heavy swinger version either. Modulator is extremely sensitive so too much audio drive pushes it into extreme overmodulation.

I got my hands on this radio, untouched. My main concern right now is doing an NPC mod or swing mod (witch ever this radio takes). The fact that this radio is SMT based parts is not an issue, I do have the proper equipment to do what I need to do with SMD. The only thing I could find on getting this radio swinging with a low dead key was one video on YouTube. Variable power would be nice but I'd be happy with a lower dead key and swinging to max power. Any help would be very very helpful. Thank you!
Shoot me an email and I'll walk you through the mod for the 980 SSB

1n4148, cathode 2 center leg of am regulator, rearmost three-legged chip heatsink on the chassis.
Shoot me an email and I'll walk you through the mod for the 980 SSB
1 in 4148 signal diode, cathode to center leg of a m regulator which is the rearmost three-leg IC heatsink to the chassis. Add a 47 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in series to the anode, solder other end of resistor to positive leg of c26. Make sure to use shrink tubing. Opens up the swing quite nicely :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_103300_4.jpg
    IMG_20200320_103300_4.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 119
1n4148, cathode 2 center leg of am regulator, rearmost three-legged chip heatsink on the chassis.

1 in 4148 signal diode, cathode to center leg of a m regulator which is the rearmost three-leg IC heatsink to the chassis. Add a 47 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in series to the anode, solder other end of resistor to positive leg of c26. Make sure to use shrink tubing. Opens up the swing quite nicely :)
Thanks for sharing these mods, I am going to get another 980 to play with.

Thanks for sharing these mods, I am going to get another 980 to play with.
You bet. I have picked up a lot of bits and pieces of information from this forum and another one and thought I would share some knowledge I've gained with everyone. Shoot me a call if you want a quick walk-through. I'm listed under tiny's CB shop. Happy modulating!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
there is a guy by the name of chuck that sells a pretty impressive mod for the 980. at least it looks good on his videos.

Probably nothing more than an NPC mod. I’d buy it just to debunk . I did an NPC and a direct inject on my 980

Attachments

• BABDD1D1-5BD4-4687-A7AE-AD6173F9084F.jpeg
    BABDD1D1-5BD4-4687-A7AE-AD6173F9084F.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I remember seeing the channel king expansion board for the 980, wondered what ever happened to that project?

Don't ever buy anything that has the components hidden in epoxy or such, more than likely you're buying snake oil, all of the wires but two probably are not hooked up to anything inside the goop. put the diode and resistor in for your swing mod and you will be more than happy. If you want to have an even cleaner signal increase the resistance up to a hundred ohms.

Don't ever buy anything that has the components hidden in epoxy or such, more than likely you're buying snake oil, all of the wires but two probably are not hooked up to anything inside the goop. put the diode and resistor in for your swing mod and you will be more than happy. If you want to have an even cleaner signal increase the resistance up to a hundred ohms.
I was reading some where that someone added channels using crystals any more info on that around I just want to add the lower 40 for am use not sure where to start the crystals in my 880 weren't marked I'm assuming the 980 will be the same

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated