• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980

This was posted in one of the 980 threads. I cranked the power up just to see what it'd do. It doesn't make much power. Then I turned them back down and adjusted the deadkey for a kl200p,

enura4a2.jpg

The pots are marked, that picture led me to the general location. Im very intrested in your beep mod. I already pulled the resistor and love not hearing that damn beep. Still keep searching around to see if anyone comes up with somethin new like frequencies. 40 up 40 down would be nice.

That's the only reason I sold mine, I have two different bunch of locals guys one south of me talks on 27.425 the ones north of me use 27.415 and 445 so without channels it was not a good fit for my radio fun but what a fun radio without the beep BS

Attachments

• uniden 980 6-18-2012.jpg
    uniden 980 6-18-2012.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 20

After I got my 959 I saw the Bearcat 980 and wished my 959 had a front end like that. I'm all for the fancy lcd's and features that the 980 has but I like a big ole' analog meter like the 959 has. I just don't use it to check signal strenght,modulation,etc.but I use it to judge distances on different radio operators. Seeing with the meter. If they would only make a lcd meter that's graduated on a fine scale. A Galaxy/bearcat/Yeticom hybrid! :pop:

Reactions: Slowmover
Well I will say after having both the 959 and the new Uniden 980, the 980 hands down is just a more stable radio. It might not have the power of the 959 but on SSB the 980 was rock solid, the 949 and 959 I had would drift around like a sailboat all day long. They were both great AM radios but not my fav on SSB

Reactions: 1 person

Agreed. I still want a Bearcat 980 at some point. For now,I'm having my Galaxy experience. I had a 2100 I bought new a long time ago and hhad to get rid of it. The 959 is an attempt at reliving the 2100 glory days. :pop:

I was originally set on a galaxy 959 but I like an illuminated face of some kind. And for my needs I wanted NOAA and it saved the family n me on a sever thunderstorm a month after I got the radio on a camping trip. The stability on SSB and NOAA turned me to the 980. And it just looks so cool. There are features of several radios I think alot of us would pick to build the perfect "hybrid" radio. I dont think there will ever be a perfect radio.

Yep! I love the 980's ssb stability and the front end. As for weather goes,I have a hand held noaa weather radio(R/S). That helped me and my parents be prepared when Hugo came through. Cb radiomagazine gave a less than average rating the weather function on the 980. However,I'm keeping an eye on the 980 and I want to see the price drop a little. Also,I'm waiting to see if(when) someone comes up with a final mod to get at least the power and swing that the Galaxy radios have if not more. :pop: P.S. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I got my eye on the Yeticom Optima as well. Remember this. I've been out of the radio scene for twenty-five years to go after other pursuits and once I get up to speed and know what's what in Radioland I will make better informed choices.

Let me tell ya if you bought an Yeticom Optima you would put all the rest of your radios in the closet. The Optima does it all and does it very well

Attachments

• optima 3-2-12.jpg
    optima 3-2-12.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: 1 person
channels

At the risk of revealing my lack of technical knowledge, could one of these direct digital synthesis VFO's be used on hard to expand radios such as the 980?

The pots are marked, that picture led me to the general location. Im very intrested in your beep mod. I already pulled the resistor and love not hearing that damn beep. Still keep searching around to see if anyone comes up with somethin new like frequencies. 40 up 40 down would be nice.
Hi. I am going to start sharing this YouTube link. It fixes two problems on the Bearcat 980, open clarifier and getting rid of the beep:

980SSB MODS HOW TO STOP BEEP SOUND.wmv - YouTube

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated