1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Uniden Bearcat 980

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by Diesel2650, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Diesel2650

Diesel2650 Member

Just figured Id start a thread on this radio since there is not much out there yet. I'll have mine tomorrow. Stop in tell us what you think and when or if? mods start showing up please tell us. Im looking to unlock the clarifier first. Hope it can be done. This radio has the features I wanted at the price I needed.

2. TonyV225

TonyV225 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

You will start seeing the mods pouring out within the next month or so ;)

3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

You promise?

1 person likes this.
  4. Diesel2650

Diesel2650 Member

Lol, there is 2 veiws out there, itll b locked or 50/50 on modifiable. I just figure this will help those lookin

5. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

yeah

i see the price went up on them on ebay
    from 155.00 to 180.00

6. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

I have one and like it a lot, just waiting for the channel and clairfier mod

Attached Files:

7. Diesel2650

Diesel2650 Member

Ya I was debating on one for $150 free shipping, waited too long, amazon $146 + $6 shipping. I figure if its a hit or any harder to keep in stock $180-$200 where they may end up.

8. 2Eight0

2Eight0 Member

9. Cookie55

Cookie55 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Still waiting on mine to get here, not really worried about mods as much as just looking for a stable rig on SSB and small enough to fit my car. From what little I've seen it seem to not drift like the 959 I have but it will be interesting to see how it does once the death turns cold.

10. Diesel2650

Diesel2650 Member

I read they are stable. Thats what kept stopping me from buying the galaxy 959. I dont care about extra channels yet and am not worried bout it "not being a big swinger". I just want to unlock the clarifier and have a clean sounding stable radio for $150. Who could ask for more

11. Diesel2650

Diesel2650 Member

Got the radio n outta the box it looks AWESOME! Deadkey right at 4 watts, ssb 10 watts. The am power adustment is very touchy but turns up to about 7 watt deadkey, if ur into that, set mine to 2 watts. Reports come back good. But idk if the receive is more sensitive or the anl/nb is not as good cause 12 13 and 14 whine like crazy with my truck running, new problem I never had before. I like the radio.

12. Brake Weight

Brake Weight Active Member

Got mine USPS today as well. Mounted it in my dash right below my CD player. I had to trim the dash sides and bottom about an 1/8" where mounts. I wa able to drill a new hole into the double din bracket so that the 980 could be held in place along with the CD player.

Mine DKs 4w and carries 7-8w AM. For me the ssb is touchy not having the last digit. The beep is not adjustable and beeps for every button pushed or channel change at the same volume. I also need to bring the DK down to 2w or so.

#12 Brake Weight, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  13. Brake Weight

Brake Weight Active Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Diesel2650

Diesel2650 Member

I wish I had room in the dash, its on the front just outta the way of my transfer case. I was worried the beep would be too much but I can live with it till I figure out how to turn it off. When I turned am power to the right it brought it up to 7 watts to the left of where it was set stock just a bit got me 2 watts, 1/4 turn got 0.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Got mine a few days ago, love the interface, hate the beep and it stays dead on frequency. Seems the output is low, what pot are you guys turning up for AM, anyone know for SSB? I am working on a beep mod without removing the resistor, and will be reversible if needed.