• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980

Diesel2650

Apr 6, 2012
Aurora IL
Just figured Id start a thread on this radio since there is not much out there yet. I'll have mine tomorrow. Stop in tell us what you think and when or if? mods start showing up please tell us. Im looking to unlock the clarifier first. Hope it can be done. This radio has the features I wanted at the price I needed.

Ya I was debating on one for $150 free shipping, waited too long, amazon $146 + $6 shipping. I figure if its a hit or any harder to keep in stock $180-$200 where they may end up.

Still waiting on mine to get here, not really worried about mods as much as just looking for a stable rig on SSB and small enough to fit my car. From what little I've seen it seem to not drift like the 959 I have but it will be interesting to see how it does once the death turns cold.

I read they are stable. Thats what kept stopping me from buying the galaxy 959. I dont care about extra channels yet and am not worried bout it "not being a big swinger". I just want to unlock the clarifier and have a clean sounding stable radio for $150. Who could ask for more

Got the radio n outta the box it looks AWESOME! Deadkey right at 4 watts, ssb 10 watts. The am power adustment is very touchy but turns up to about 7 watt deadkey, if ur into that, set mine to 2 watts. Reports come back good. But idk if the receive is more sensitive or the anl/nb is not as good cause 12 13 and 14 whine like crazy with my truck running, new problem I never had before. I like the radio.

Got mine USPS today as well. Mounted it in my dash right below my CD player. I had to trim the dash sides and bottom about an 1/8" where mounts. I wa able to drill a new hole into the double din bracket so that the 980 could be held in place along with the CD player.

Mine DKs 4w and carries 7-8w AM. For me the ssb is touchy not having the last digit. The beep is not adjustable and beeps for every button pushed or channel change at the same volume. I also need to bring the DK down to 2w or so.

Last edited:
photo2-44.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I wish I had room in the dash, its on the front just outta the way of my transfer case. I was worried the beep would be too much but I can live with it till I figure out how to turn it off. When I turned am power to the right it brought it up to 7 watts to the left of where it was set stock just a bit got me 2 watts, 1/4 turn got 0.

Got mine a few days ago, love the interface, hate the beep and it stays dead on frequency. Seems the output is low, what pot are you guys turning up for AM, anyone know for SSB? I am working on a beep mod without removing the resistor, and will be reversible if needed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.