• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980

Back in the day, Grants and 148s were the bomb. Easily modified and if tune correctly, were screamers. Oh, and sounded good on SSB too.(y)
My Grant XL was "peaked and tweaked" when I bought it in 2002. Output watts are "slightly" above the limit and I don't dare risk using a linear amp in fear of damaging the radio and that is why I want a radio with adjustable RF power output.

Reactions: 357magnum
You would most like damage the amp, not the radio. A variable can be install fairly easy in that Grant.:)
I prefer not to have anyone tamper with the XL. The person who "peaked and tweaked" it in 2002 is not available and that's why I recently purchased two new radios with adjustable RF power function but unfortunately both radios were defective and I returned them within twenty-four hours. Tomorrow my new Galaxy 959B will arrive and I'll find out how it works with my old Maco Brute Seventy-Five amp.

Reactions: 357magnum
I'll know tomorrow because my new Galaxy 959B is scheduled to arrive and if it has a defect, I'm giving up on buying another CB radio and going back to my Grant XL. I've had that radio since new in 2002 and (knock on wood) so far it has never had a problem.

Instead of shopping for the best price on Amazon you might try buying a radio from a shop that also does quality tech work. This way they can go through the radio and tune/align/convert it one time and your done. The Grant xl is a nice radio for sure, running an amplifier with that radio won't hurt it one bit as long as you hook it up correctly.

Instead of shopping for the best price on Amazon you might try buying a radio from a shop that also does quality tech work. This way they can go through the radio and tune/align/convert it one time and your done. The Grant xl is a nice radio for sure, running an amplifier with that radio won't hurt it one bit as long as you hook it up correctly.
The Grant's output on AM is 10 watts with a dead key.
I agree with you with purchasing from a reputable dealer / service shop. I'm giving these Vietnam radios one last chance by ordering the 959B. At seventy-one years old, the sole reason I'm getting back into CB is to have something to do on rainy days. I'll say this, in the "old days" of CB, we did not have as many problems with CB radios as I read about in today's world.

Your saying you have a Uniden Grant xl that has a 10 watt AM dead key? Or are you talking about the Export President Grant? If you indeed do have the Uniden Grant xl cb radio a 10 watt dead key is way out of spec.That radio is grossly mis-tuned.

Your saying you have a Uniden Grant xl that has a 10 watt AM dead key? Or are you talking about the Export President Grant? If you indeed do have the Uniden Grant xl cb radio a 10 watt dead key is way out of spec.That radio is grossly mis-tuned.
It is not an export radio and you are absolutely correct about being mis-tuned. The radio was peaked and tweaked from the seller (CB Radio Shop) prior to him sending the radio to me when I purchased it in 2002. I never knew what the output watts were and I very seldom used the radio because CB started to get full of profanity. I packed-it away for four years while I was out of country for work related projects. When I returned I kept it packed away and purchased a couple of small and compact non-SSB radios for my vehicles, but then again the language on CB had "gone wild" and I stayed away. Moving forward....I retired last year and decided to get back into CB and I unpacked the Grant and purchased a MFJ-870 Watt Meter and that is when I checked the output and seen the 8 to 10 watts on dead key and I knew then that something wasn't right. So...what's next? I recently purchased a Galaxy DX2457 and it died after forty days. Purchased two other Vietnam made mobile radios and they were defective on the day I received them. I like the Grant XL for a base unit and I only monitor and listen to Ch. 19 with fear of ruining the radio if I transmit. I need to locate a reputable / non-butcher radio technician who can tune the Grant how it should be.
Sorry for the long winded reply.

Reactions: S&W357
Profanity on 19. Hmmm, . . . in a country where going out in public wearing one’s underwear with bath sandals is seen as normal. Universal. Tee shirts and baggy shorts. Tattooed like society’s losers. The women fat, dressed like prostitutes and lacking any feminine graces.

Dude, these are people who own televisions. Your countrymen. If they attend a church, the idea of a suit or a dress causes the TILT function to actuate.

I wish you better luck on the next series of radios, but it looks like cherry-picking to me to worry over some Anglo-Saxonisms. A pair of Radio Rambos going at it in morning rush hour is better than that third cup of coffee.

I recently (September) bought a 980 via Amazon and it was ok. Maybe yours was "un-luck of the draw" :unsure:…?
I recently (three days ago) purchased another 980 and it seems to be working OK with the exception of people commenting that the audio is low but the signal is great. It's a good thing the 6 wire to 4 wire mic cable adapter came with the radio because I connected a Astatic 878 Desk Mic and I was told that it improved the audio.

Reactions: 357magnum and RT431
Taking your comment seriously, the Grant XL is now at a competent (forum member) shop to be tested and "do whatever it takes" to get it back to normal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated