• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980

I have saw a 148 with a "volted final" keying over 10 watts on AM. This puts no more strain on the final than injecting a single tone on ssb, but there is not sufficient headroom for modulation.

I have actually thought about putting this on a button so that a tube amp can be properly tuned without the usual whistling or yelling into the microphone. If the radio makes 15 watts pep put enough voltage on the collectors of the final (and driver if needed) to get a 15 watt carrier.

I doubt many cb shops would do this for long. It's asking for sweep tube amp failure and pooped finals in the hands of a moron....could be a real money maker too.

An export that had FM mode could be used the same way I think.

Yes. As long as you can get the fm power equal to the pep the rig makes on AM and SSB. What concerns me is the export rigs are usually running finals that are barely capable of the rated pep output. It might go up in smoke. If the rig was tuned for a more reasonable output that would work just fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.