• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980SSB Tuning and What-have-yous.... (Noob...)

Myphton

Feb 26, 2018
Hello hello fellas.

I'm looking around and about for tuning information for the Bearcat 980SSB. I've heard that tuning these are a pain in the ass... but I'm willing to take a crack at it.

Everything I found so far is either talking about it, or some poor shmuck poking at something, and destroying a radio. And, I'd really not like to be the next poor shmuck destroying his radio lol.

SO.... all I want to do is decrease power a hair on DK, maybe up the modulation, and slap an amplifier on it (KL-203). A buddy and I both have the same gear, but neither of us want to just start twisting and turning everything, and the end result is either garbage, trash, or smashing it with a hammer.

I've searched high and low, here and elsewhere, to find a decent answer. But, either I've missed it, or haven't found it yet...

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or a quick guide for a green-horn to the Bearcat 980SSB?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Reactions: Robb
Welcome to WWRF! From what I understand, these are very good right out of the box. There are a few here that run these, maybe they will chime in.
Thanks!

I just want to make sure I don't fry the egg on the amp. The KL-203, from what I gathered, runs nicely with the 980, but also seen somewhere the 980 needs to be tuned down.

I goofed with the CBs a bit some time ago, but now that I travel for work, and a few buddies of mine are getting heavily into it, I'm trying to get back in the game.

Someone here was saying to take the mic apart and remove the plastic disk that blocks the sound. The modulation from the factory settings will be good after this.

I don't think it blocks the sound. It might be more like a puff diverter, You know when you speak how the microphone will pick up your breath hitting the element.

I have a 980 that I have bought resently got a astatic 636L put on it all reports are I'm loud and proud. No mods done to the radio. 12 watts is all you need on ssb made contacts almost everyday.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop
I have both

880 Uniden
885 Uniden

and both never opened.

Both have been run with a KL203p without incident. Since last August I’ve run better than 90k miles, radio rig turned on from 9-12 hours daily; six days per week.

Not trying to disagree with advice about turning down, but any hesitation about the work (fits me) hasn’t resulted in any problems.

YMMV

Reactions: undertaker
You can work mic over.open it up.see a white round bandaid? Remove it trash it.then that itty bitty hole you see in the baffle you just removed that bandaid from? Open that small hole just a small tad not much or you did too much.i didbthat to both of my 980s.i get reports about very clear voice now not muffled.spreading coils uhh naa .my 980s both get out great

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.