• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden does it again...

CA8F860C-CEF5-4908-9D87-815B950BC6E2.jpeg

DX Engineering was source for jumper to amp

Amp can’t be seen behind console snap cover panel.

The DSP Speaker highlights how well this radio receives (given restrictions).

The ears are easily as good as anything else that will fit in the overhead. Given what most drivers might buy.

It’s the noise in the system (truck) that is the real problem.

Last edited:
5F4B006D-82C8-475C-88AC-BFC5FD411602.jpeg

This is one of those restrictions. Reports are reasonably good.

Have been able to “get away with” a 5.5’ antenna. Now using a 5’ Firestick on a spring.

But the thread is about the radio type.

For those not drivers keep in mind that this radio gets turned on and is in use 10-16/hours per day. Weeks at a time.

It runs a little warm. I adjusted the Velcro to bring the faceplate out from the console. Am thinking of adding some cribbing underneath. Not a huge concern, but seems worthy.

Encryption is present for some agencies in some areas. So what?

The useable information can be indirect. What TYPE of problems in an area lead me to judgments about it.

The direct-and-to-the-point information is additive. I can already — by road conditions, weather and distance E of the Mississippi — make educated guesses.

The problem for a big truck is in committing to or continuing on a specific route. Time, money and/or career-ending penalties.

Three times the first three weeks the scanner enabled me to make satisfactory choices that CB or phone-locator algorithm traffic advisories didn’t help with soon enough.

Once per month X12 is far past ROI.

I can shut off Scan altogether if desired. Shut off agency type.

Or run Squelch high enough to disable CB.

Give either CB or Scan Speaker override priority.

Or allow them to intermingle. (This takes New Mexican Cult Video Training: Vol. 1 “How to Pay Attention”).

Entertainment value is good. I don’t lack for options there. It’s a nice addition.

Adjusting Radio Volume, Talkback & Mike Gain against Speaker Volume & Filtration took the longest time.

Had Rattlesnake and his crowd in OKC to thank for that. Known base stations and running past them at a right angle (so to speak). Faint to Strong to Faint again.

Clean power, different antenna setup and new coax are needed (factory coax is both poor AND damaged). Truck problems, not radio.

I’d recommend the Uniden 885 Hybrid CB/Scanner to any driver. As with GPS it’s useful enough to cover the cost. Neither is perfect.

Add to it the cigaret pack KL203 and “you’ll get heard” even with a stock OEM setup.

Given a better antenna mount than what’s found on l this particular 579 Peterbilt, I expect my TX/RX range to improve.

The DSP Speaker should be mandatory in the minds of truck drivers. So much interfering noise is removed that the rig is otherwise wholly different.

So, true, the whole rig isnt cheap.

Uniden 885 $400
West Mountain ClrSpkr $225
RM ITALY KL 203 $75
Astatic 636 mike $45
Custom power lead $15
Firestick antenna & spring $35
Jumper $10

I still have mounts and coax to run.

Custom power to a better source.

Probably another $200. Any radio would require the same.

I may add an external scanner antenna. Just to see if there’s a performance difference.

Last edited:
The Hybrid version Radio is roughly $250 above a 980 from Amazon.

Doesn’t matter that someone finds it cheaper. Move back to the Levant you think that’s important.

That’s about decent days wage.

Reliability (Longevity) will be the real test. To know whether the money was well-spent is proven to my satisfaction. Now I hope it lasts.

GPS location service is updated weekly. Your ordinary scanner isn’t set up for mobile as is this unit.

I’d no more leave home without a CB than I’d leave behind my driver license and medical card. A business tool is just that.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that it’s quality is high (enough).

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
Aw man I was sold on the 885 alone - you don't see these radios on the For Sale rack in small truck stops....

It kills 2 birds with one stone - you get past those Paper and Plant mills that REQUIRE a CB radio for their yard work - so it's got my vote.

I just wish we can ditch that boot and put your antenna up. Properly done - you won't need the boot - unless you need it for what else they can serve - as a Wheelchock...

Reactions: Rwb
Curious....

Your antenna - do you have the Firestik with the Weatherband in it too?

The 885 - I thought - can utilize the "extra winds trap" for the WX/Ham 2M/Police band without having to use an external scanner antenna.

Curious....

Your antenna - do you have the Firestik with the Weatherband in it too?

The 885 - I thought - can utilize the "extra winds trap" for the WX/Ham 2M/Police band without having to use an external scanner antenna.

(The below is not strictly to equipment review, but to motivations).

This Peterbilt not set up with co-phase arrangement.

Nor with antenna splitter (as best as I can tell); “thin-film” antennas are more likely these days, buried above windshield.

The dash radio/Nav screen would by itself require several antennas. None of which are obvious (external).

As I also have pickup and travel trailer (an ongoing albeit slow restoration) where I expect receiver/transceiver duplication as well as what may be unique to each among the three vehicles, I’ve not worried over some expense. If that’s what you're pursuing. (And there’s no wife to whom to justify worthy pursuits).

What I may try on one vehicle may wind up on another.

Before today is out I’ll have installed a glass-mount antenna for the MIDLAND weather radio on the trailer exterior rear. The sidelight glass to a large jalousie window. Have to avoid awning operation outside, and try for practical/aesthetically pleasing inside. Full-width shelf at the head of the bed. (This is hail & tornado territory).

FWIW, RV parks tend to be on land not otherwise amenable to cultivation or retail. Marginal. This is a multiplier to vehicle vulnerability by design necessity. Where & how to move away may be at stake. Abandonment is thoroughly emotional.

The somewhat matching MIDLAND glass-mount CB antenna is on its way. To recreate the factory installation (1989) for what’s known as a rally or campground radio. Sort of for the hell of it. I’ll use my 1997 Uniden PC76 CB and it’s RK56 mike.

I’m third-generation as owner of an aero, all-aluminum travel trailer. While I don’t have the Johnson CB radios my father and grandfather had (real talkers; my introduction to CB more than fifty years ago; nicely concurrent with intro to marine and general aviation radio), and I’m not yet retired, the more-or-less period 76 will look/act “right”. Will hang one of my Cobra speakers under it. (Currently parked on a state highway and within a few miles of an Interstate).

(After re-reading that, guess I’ll make it an ancestor shrine. An All American Five shelf radio, too, eh?)

An upgrade to 50A service is planned. As with genset inlet. A dedicated wire pull for transceiver part of the list.

Perhaps a Yaesu FT 450 to a rooftop foldover antenna. No real idea yet. Maybe more (“HAM Radio in an Airstream”, one of several useful threads on www.airforums.com ).

That’s for later. But that I might use any gear in any vehicle is sort of a guideline at present.

Also need to upgrade/replace the crank-up RV TV antenna. New coax for the telescoping AM-FM antenna. Telephone service antenna. WiFi antennas. Etc.

Consider living from where your car may be parked. No land services available. Near or far from a major metro region.

A trailer with an antenna farm atop seems “right”. A 35’ x 9’ aluminum roof doesn’t lack for space.

Whether any the service is turned on or off is separate. The attempt at performance maximization is attractive to me (extending to many other RV aspects). No grotesqueries. Call it extensions or additions that may have been there from the beginning.

So where would the Uniden 885 “go” here at home? How would it mount and be “connected” in the pickup (or for a conventional scanner)? Etc.

Would I wish to operate it fully independently (like a Field Day)?

I’ll back myself into ARRL stuff as I go. The interest of my adult son is being slowly pursued. He’s the natural for that.

The Uniden 885 Hybrid CB/Scanner fits my view of my future. At work or “at home”. I may want to move, or I may HAVE to move. Take what I wrote above about committing an articulated rig to a specific route. Penalties apply. Life-changers.

“Mistakes” made while I’m fully employed isn’t any barrier to experimentation ($$). I’ve enough other tech issues to stay atop. Considerably more serious (at present).

It’s the “What If” of radio that serves as spark. With the 885, it’s, “so far, and so good”.

And, hey, as dementia may one day arise, I can spend my days on air and continue to pleasantly ask the same question. Again. And again. And then again . . . . (Ha!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and undertaker
(The below is not strictly to equipment review, but to motivations).

This Peterbilt not set up with co-phase arrangement.

Nor with antenna splitter (as best as I can tell); “thin-film” antennas are more likely these days, buried above windshield.

The dash radio/Nav screen would by itself require several antennas. None of which are obvious (external).

As I also have pickup and travel trailer (an ongoing albeit slow restoration) where I expect receiver/transceiver duplication as well as what may be unique to each among the three vehicles, I’ve not worried over some expense. If that’s what you're pursuing. (And there’s no wife to whom to justify worthy pursuits).

What I may try on one vehicle may wind up on another.

Before today is out I’ll have installed a glass-mount antenna for the MIDLAND weather radio on the trailer exterior rear. The sidelight glass to a large jalousie window. Have to avoid awning operation outside, and try for practical/aesthetically pleasing inside. Full-width shelf at the head of the bed. (This is hail & tornado territory).

FWIW, RV parks tend to be on land not otherwise amenable to cultivation or retail. Marginal. This is a multiplier to vehicle vulnerability by design necessity. Where & how to move away may be at stake. Abandonment is thoroughly emotional.

The somewhat matching MIDLAND glass-mount CB antenna is on its way. To recreate the factory installation (1989) for what’s known as a rally or campground radio. Sort of for the hell of it. I’ll use my 1997 Uniden PC76 CB and it’s RK56 mike.

I’m third-generation as owner of an aero, all-aluminum travel trailer. While I don’t have the Johnson CB radios my father and grandfather had (real talkers; my introduction to CB more than fifty years ago; nicely concurrent with intro to marine and general aviation radio), and I’m not yet retired, the more-or-less period 76 will look/act “right”. Will hang one of my Cobra speakers under it. (Currently parked on a state highway and within a few miles of an Interstate).

(After re-reading that, guess I’ll make it an ancestor shrine. An All American Five shelf radio, too, eh?)

An upgrade to 50A service is planned. As with genset inlet. A dedicated wire pull for transceiver part of the list.

Perhaps a Yaesu FT 450 to a rooftop foldover antenna. No real idea yet. Maybe more (“HAM Radio in an Airstream”, one of several useful threads on www.airforums.com ).

That’s for later. But that I might use any gear in any vehicle is sort of a guideline at present.

Also need to upgrade/replace the crank-up RV TV antenna. New coax for the telescoping AM-FM antenna. Telephone service antenna. WiFi antennas. Etc.

Consider living from where your car may be parked. No land services available. Near or far from a major metro region.

A trailer with an antenna farm atop seems “right”. A 35’ x 9’ aluminum roof doesn’t lack for space.

Whether any the service is turned on or off is separate. The attempt at performance maximization is attractive to me (extending to many other RV aspects). No grotesqueries. Call it extensions or additions that may have been there from the beginning.

So where would the Uniden 885 “go” here at home? How would it mount and be “connected” in the pickup (or for a conventional scanner)? Etc.

Would I wish to operate it fully independently (like a Field Day)?

I’ll back myself into ARRL stuff as I go. The interest of my adult son is being slowly pursued. He’s the natural for that.

The Uniden 885 Hybrid CB/Scanner fits my view of my future. At work or “at home”. I may want to move, or I may HAVE to move. Take what I wrote above about committing an articulated rig to a specific route. Penalties apply. Life-changers.

“Mistakes” made while I’m fully employed isn’t any barrier to experimentation ($$). I’ve enough other tech issues to stay atop. Considerably more serious (at present).

It’s the “What If” of radio that serves as spark. With the 885, it’s, “so far, and so good”.

And, hey, as dementia may one day arise, I can spend my days on air and continue to pleasantly ask the same question. Again. And again. And then again . . . . (Ha!).

Although you have two threads in one here. I wish you well, in that restoration - looks like a lot of work but I know what you mean in having a "Home" in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the antenna stuff - you pretty much covered it - looks like they wanted to eliminate the whip - not sure if that is the type of option to use for a less than dedicated system - if you want to go all in.

Sad, was hoping "Pete" would be a leader in the considerations and needs of truckers - looks more like they wanted a sport model - well I guess I'm back quiet for now...

Reactions: Slowmover
Although you have two threads in one here. I wish you well, in that restoration - looks like a lot of work but I know what you mean in having a "Home" in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the antenna stuff - you pretty much covered it - looks like they wanted to eliminate the whip - not sure if that is the type of option to use for a less than dedicated system - if you want to go all in.

Sad, was hoping "Pete" would be a leader in the considerations and needs of truckers - looks more like they wanted a sport model - well I guess I'm back quiet for now...

If things were such that replacing the coax didn’t feature intimidating amounts of interior removal (and frown-invoking NO from the owner) you’d hear a rebuttal.

Using the overhead is the problem. A radio on the dashtop involves easier routing and connections.

1). Coax out thru door wire runs to mirror mounts.

2) Power via behind dash panel circuit box (these are huge when centralized; with equally big power cables; Freightliner approach)

Pete splits boxes all over. Can’t just run thru an unused hole plug in firewall either. Those things are now armor plate.

No easy way through floor to BATT. Now looking at a 15-20+ foot pair of power leads.

Haven’t been “serious” about it yet. Just making best of factory. Antenna is the key. Once that’s somewhat settled (mounts and location) the rest will fall into place.

Etc.

Forgot to post that the 885 Bearcat has a weather radio. Set for SAME automatic alerts. I definitely like this.

Today’s driver is telephone-dependent. Not good in many ways. Great tool (Truckers Path and RadarPro are ubiquitous), but still limitations.

One’s own gear not tied to Internet PLUS a service provider is, IMO, still the best way.

One’s own gear not tied to Internet PLUS a service provider is, IMO, still the best way.

It's when Dispatch gets long winded and you're on a minutes' plan - I do understand...;)

Off -grid and is far less distracting - you miss a lot of the scenery between the stops if you have to listen to and have to follow GPS to meet fuel standards...sigh - some routes you can shave a lot of time off but GPS has the final say...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.