• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant LT Question.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
Does any one else have or have ever had one of these. I have one that is is Philippine built and the receive absolutely sucks! It has been tuned using an oscilloscope and it still sucks. I have tried different coax and antennas with no change and its still very poor using my Imax 2000. It's like say a Galaxy export radio that has the RF gain turned back 3/4's of the way. It's even hard to hear the boys on the bowl! The side band receive is fine but the AM is very poor.

Is this a problem these radios have or could it be something else. My tech had for a week and could find nothing wrong with it and he had no clue as to why the receive is so poor. Help!

:? those radios have one of the best receive sections of any Uniden made CB radio ! , I think your tech really missed something on this one ? .....God I hate that when that happens :( The LT is a cb radio not export and I think you might get a better answer on the tech bench , but then again , hopefully you'll get your answer here. Good luck to you , hope it hasn't cost you to much. :evil:

well, the dual conversion MB8719 SSB chassis, of which the Grant LT is one, has one of the BEST receiver design of any type accepted CB radio.

all the guys "in the know" swear by them, and from my experience there is not even a close second. (barring a few super rigs from the '70's)

you said that your tech tuned the radio with an oscilloscope.
that should be the first clue!!!

you dont use an o-scope to tune the reciever coils, you use a signal generator.
if your tech told you he used an o-scope to tune the reciever then
i would like to hear how he did that.LOL

you say that the SSB receive is fine, but AM sucks.
if someone that knew just enough to be dangerous went inside the radio and tried to adjust the 455khz cans without a sig. gen. set to that freq. then they probably got it all out of whack.

if someone tried to tune these cans just by using a 27mhz signal, they would also get it all out of whack.

there are three cans, L3, L13, and L15.
they look a bit different than the others.

if you can get ahold of a signal generator that will produce a 455khz signal, you can peak these three cans, and i bet that will help the receive.

that being said, you should really just send the radio to DTB, or freecell. (no offense to other techs, those are just the names that came to mind)
you will be very happy with the radio you get back.

good luck,
loosecannon

I have to agree, those have a terrific receiver. Assuming there isn't a problem with the radio that no-one's found, and assuming you have a good antenna setup, an assuming its been tuned correctly, it will be a wonderful radio.

grant lt

I have one and its a great radio. I'll never part with it
DTB Radio said:
I have to agree, those have a terrific receiver. Assuming there isn't a problem with the radio that no-one's found, and assuming you have a good antenna setup, an assuming its been tuned correctly, it will be a wonderful radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.