• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL problem

Ok LC, got another question for ya,

what are the voltage readings suppose to be on all the xtals in the radio?

i had put the yahoo groups channel mod in some time ago before i put the radio worked fine, but now since i pulled the radio back out it never read right on the channels, like 38 is down on -22, i know the mod is still working and doing what its suppose to, all channels are like they are suppose to be, just they are all on the lower channels on my display,

so heres my thought and i just wonder how far off i am in my thinking here,

is there a way that the volts going to one of the xtals could have dropped or gone up, if so what would i look at to see what is going on here?

thanks mark

testing the DC voltage to a crystal wont really tell you anything.
short answer is thats not really how they work.

most likely you need to re-program your mod board for the MB8719 chip and whichever crystal you are using.

either the 11.1125 for the 26.175 to 28.085 (-79 to 108)
or the 11.3258 for the 26.815 to 28.725 (-15 to 172)

not knowing which version of the mod you have, i cant tell you how to program it, but if you installed it previously, then you had to do it when you first installed it.

could also be an issue with the VR on the mod board being out of adjustment, as that will cause some of the channels to repeat, but i wouldnt adjust it without checking in the chat room of the mod group.

find out which version of the board you have, it will be etched on the board somewhere, go to the chat room and tell them the issue you are having.
they should be able to tell you the right way to program your board.

later,
LC

Whats makes a grant xl only on lower sideband will not line up because it transmit1 full channel up from theteansmit channel.
Tx on 38 but receives 37 and ive adjusted L22 and L30 does not fix problem

Tx on 38 but receives 37
Somebody has messed up the clarifier circuit. Really sounds as if the clarifier voltage from the front panel control is missing while receiving, but the transmit voltage from the trimpot (can't remember the number, maybe VR5?) that sets transmit frequency is working. If the clarifier-circuit voltage drops to zero, the radio will drop about one channel in frequency.

Best guess, from the description.

Reactions: midnight special
I dont know man but ive always hated whenever i aquired any radio thats modded to death or just enough mods to cause parts to fail or frequencys not to line up whatever the case might be the fact still remains is that i have a used grant xl thats had every possible mod known to man done to it.
The power tweaks the clarifier thats now rueined and now only works on AM along with the extra channels and a variable wattage that has taken the placeof the swr calibration and vr10, i do not like this setup for a variable power.
How or where would i install a super talk kit for the audio and swing where a 16 volt 470puf cap along with a 100ohm resistor is used for the super talk mod where jp36 is removed in a cobra 29 to install the mod.
Where can i mount the exact super talk kit in a grant xl with a 2sc1969 ? How come nobody performs these same swing mods on the grant xl or the cobra 148 ?

I dont care how bad it makes it sound i still need to know where to install the kit in a grant xl

The Grant XL modulator is different from the one in the Cobra 29LTD. The swing mod is different as a result.

Thought I had posted the variable-key mod we use for that radio, and the 148. The Grant XL is the same radio on the inside that Uniden built for Cobra until Cobra hired a new vendor for the 148 around 1993.

I'll see if we have any pics on file for that. Somewhere on this forum I posted our procedure for the 148. It's the same procedure for the Grant XL.

Thanks nomad..
Ive always heard good things about your shop over in louisville however its most unfortunate that i cannot financially afford your services as my life is on a budget.
I think we may have spoke once on channel 14 back a year or so if you be chris nomad that is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.