• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden grant xl

phantom309

Aug 23, 2015
Sooooooo, I have this old uniden, looks beat but performs fairly well. So I want to get work done but nothing overly crazy.

Change mic plug from 5 to 4 pin

Have clairifer opened and expanded with a 5 turn adjuster (the actual name escaped me)

Aligned and property tuned.

I can get new covers and face plate on my own, but the technical work is beyond my scope.

So, whose the best of uniden techs in the country? Names, location, phone number?

Thanks in advance.

Such a fine radio, I would leave the mic plug be and just run a 5 pin mic. All that radio needs a a proper tune and alignment, extra channels, and the clarifier unlocked. "5 turn adjuster" ?? never heard of it, why not just have it unlocked and roll with it?

Key cb, Doug at Custom CB Radio, or Bob's CB all do great work.

I think he's referring to the 5 turn potentiometer. Those aren't very common these days, the 10 turn ones are far more plentiful. I love the old Grant XL chassis. One of the most versatile, easiest to work on chassis out there. They do a lot of things very well. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: phantom309
Such a fine radio, I would leave the mic plug be and just run a 5 pin mic. All that radio needs a a proper tune and alignment, extra channels, and the clarifier unlocked. "5 turn adjuster" ?? never heard of it, why not just have it unlocked and roll with it?

Key cb, Doug at Custom CB Radio, or Bob's CB all do great work.
Every mic I own is a 4 pin, and I hate using the adapters on side mic radios, also I don't like having a mic just wired for one radio unless I absolutely have to.

The 5 turn pot helps with drift because it is essential a fine clarifier that covers the same scope as the course clarifier. I am wanting the radio to slide over 5kc so I get to frequency like 27.370 and 27.257(local talkers)

They also have a very nice receive. Gave one to by brother in law a few years ago for Christmas. He was lucky as I was going to keep it as th receive on it was just plain good.

Key cb said:
new to this world, but i can 2nd Doug, bought a CB from him and wanted a couple of things done and actually told me one of the mods i requested would be a WASTE of money. "you won't here the difference" was his exact words

not often a guy will tell you,"Don't give me more money"
fast work, fast ship, and great radio.
will be sending him a Base when i decide on one.

91cdriver, it's not that the drifts in its current form, however when the clairifer is unlocked and is able to slide the amount I require to slide (5-6kc) the potential to drift is increased a bit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.