• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN MADISON HOW TO DROP WATTAGE?

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
Can someone tell me without getting to technical, if possible, how to drop the wattage down from the current 5 to. 3? I do know I will have to leave my wattage/power meter in line while the cover is removed. Wheather it's the bottom cover or top depends on wheather where the adjustment pot is located. I'm also assuming once the cover is off I will have to plug in the radio and turn it on. Ok, so back to the question, where exactly is the wattage adjustment, and how do i drop it down from 5 to. 3? If you can give me instructions ie 1. Open cover. 2. Turn on radio, and so on. I'm not tec savy and my physical limitations make things difficult but this is something I think I can do and if not I can at least walk a friend through it. thanks to my wwdx family.

To be perfectly honest, in order to get .3w dead key will require a dummy load and very accurate wattmeter. Usually, most amps will work down to .5 watts dead key without a problem. There should be a variable resistor on the radio's board to lower the dead key depending on the model/make.

Thanks rob. Why can't I use my metter and antenna? All I want to do is drop the Madison from five watts output to 3 watts. Why a dummy load? Please explain. When I was a kid I would open my whatever brand 23 channel mobile radio and turn the screw head that was on top of the pot that raised or lowered the wattage. I could see the wattage going up and down on the meter and when I would get it as high as it would go, usually about 8-10, Then I'd button it up. Why would I have to go through all that trouble? I mean if that's the way to drop my Madison from 5 watts to 3 watts im gonna have to send it out and in that case im gonna just use my am rigs that run my amp nice and cool with 2 1/2 watts.
To be perfectly honest, in order to get .3w dead key will require a dummy load and very accurate wattmeter. Usually, most amps will work down to .5 watts without a problem
To be perfectly honest, in order to get .3w dead key will require a dummy load and very accurate wattmeter. Usually, most amps will work down to .5 watts dead key without a problem. There should be a variable resistor on the radio's board to lower the dead key depending on the model/make.

A dummy load is used because it presents a consistent impedance (SWR = 1:1) to the radio's output so that an accurate reading can be made. An antenna's impedance (or 'AC resistance') is not constant throughout the freq range.

This also depends on the quality and accuracy of the watt meter too, as they aren't all accurate and consistent . . .

0.3 watts is pretty hard to read on most meters, hence the dummy load and good meter reference.
If you mean 3 watts , well, the truth is you need a meter and best practice and accurate measurements require a dummy load. Yeah, you can dead key into an antenna for the few seconds it will take - happens all the time.

Most places reference VR10 as the AM power

Im not trying to get it from .5 to .3 I want to get it from five watts to 3 watts. Unless five watts is technically point five watts. All I want to do is drop my Madison's five watts in half to two and a half watts. UOTE="tba02, post: 498601, member: 39985"]0.3 watts is pretty hard to read on most meters, hence the dummy load and good meter reference.
If you mean 3 watts , well, the truth is you need a meter and best practice and accurate measurements require a dummy load. Yeah, you can dead key into an antenna for the few seconds it will take - happens all the time.

Most places reference VR10 as the AM power[/QUOTE]
It

I have the original Madison manual but no schematic . I can download it. So although your not sure and I won't touch anything until someone backs up that it's the VR10. Just for arguments sake, it's the VR10. I would go to where the VR10 is, key my mic watch it hit the five on the 0-10 watt section on the meter then adjust the VR10 assuming that is the correct adjustment pot? Is that the way it works? Let me stress its not .5 down to .3 but 5 watts down to 2 1/2 Or 3. I say 3 but since the amp runs nice at 2 1/2 I'd like to lower the Madison to 2 1/2.

It's VR10, and VR11 is the SSB power.
I'm assuming the VR10 and VR11 are under the top cover, when I remove the cover will thay be easily found? Will thay be clearly marked VR10 and VR11? I ordered a uiden Madison service manual , it includes all the schematics. Unfortunately I may not get it for s week or so. I kinda wanna get it done but I know I should wait. Therr are s few other issues one being the rf meter doesn't move. I would like to see if I can get it moving without having to replace it. I tapped the plastic, no movement. It may need to be replaced, I will find out when I open it. I also will spray the potentiometer thr correct way, from the inside. I may have damaged the amp beyond repair. I won't know until I open it as there are two fuses inside. The fuse in the back of the amp is good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.