• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden PC122, low AM modulation

In something like this, I'd start checking the Voltage at the Jumper board.

The best way to tune this is to pre-set the AM power to 5.6 Volts - SOLID.

Don't peak anything at this time, just observe.

Look at wattage and the Bias. Keep Bias mA to 50mA on Driver and Final.

Look on foil side for rework - correct and clean, reheat cold joints as needed Reflow the leads with a touch of rosin core solder to let the flux in it reflow around the leads.

Using No Mod, check jumper voltage across it to ground - then modulate. Does the voltage drop as well as the RF swing in any simple RF meter?

Don't kill it by removing the limiter - at least not yet.

Then don't use too much mod, just low - level types of sound to see if a Positive swing can be made. IF you see forward swing - then the issue is from limiter area - if' you can't get any forward swing at 5.6V - then how far do you turn down the voltage before the swing is not backwards - NOR forwards - but steady?

Once at that voltage - then I'd look at peaking - retune the strip, can you see an increase in power - then recheck - if the thing re-creates the original condition - then something is going on in the limiter section.

This may be an over peaked radio - so be careful with too much power trying to get swing - these are unobtainium right now.

This thread has got three different variants of the same radio - might want to do voltage checks around the Pre-driver - as this thing ages, even the DISC caps can fail - turn into plain old dirt sandwich.

Keep me posted if - in case, something develops...
Just some random going thru old electronics-i repair pretty much any newer electronics and i found one of these (or similar at least) from 1988. I know its either junk-or someone would prolly kill for it and its parts. Best i can tell it works fine, looks undamaged,
Just wondering, something from 1988 like this that i can barely find info on could be invaluable to someone in need... Just doing my part to help others out here. Shoot me an email at skylarr12227@gmail.com if its not junk-if it is dw about it and ill toss it in a week or so.

Just some random going thru old electronics-i repair pretty much any newer electronics and i found one of these (or similar at least) from 1988. I know its either junk-or someone would prolly kill for it and its parts. Best i can tell it works fine, looks undamaged,
Just wondering, something from 1988 like this that i can barely find info on could be invaluable to someone in need... Just doing my part to help others out here. Shoot me an email at skylarr12227@gmail.com if its not junk-if it is dw about it and ill toss it in a week or so.
well, does it fire up?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.