• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden pro 510 xl

The mosfet mod is for transmit. They have it for cobra 25 and 29 there was no need to do a mosfet mod on those radios either but someone had the idea of doing them so as of today it's being done and there is info posted for that. not that it gives the radio any gain but it's a modification that some people enjoy doing and some just want to see bigger numbers on the meter. I was just wondering if anyone had done the mod before and if so what is it that has to be done to perform the mod. No worries I didn't mean to cause a issue . There is a lot of things in life that people want to do and there is no better outcome than if they didn't do it but no harm in trying or asking.
I'm only curious as to how you would know if the mod improved the transmit?

Where did I say it improved the transmit of the radio. As far as the cobra 25 and 29 I said it showed more wattage on a meter when the mosfet was installed as far as signal or audio I don't know where it dose or not I am not really worried about that I just wanted to try the mod for my satisfaction not anyone else's. If no one knows that's all I need to know I will move on and take the post down. As far as going on and on about the benefits of doing the mod doesn't answer my question to my post .

Where did I say it improved the transmit of the radio. As far as the cobra 25 and 29 I said it showed more wattage on a meter when the mosfet was installed as far as signal or audio I don't know where it dose or not I am not really worried about that I just wanted to try the mod for my satisfaction not anyone else's. If no one knows that's all I need to know I will move on and take the post down. As far as going on and on about the benefits of doing the mod doesn't answer my question to my post .
Maybe because a dumb-a** like me who doesn't know s*** about radios and has a "new in box" 510 like yours, I may be (just may be) interested in the results of exchanging parts.
Being you have twenty of the same radios, go ahead and experiment with nineteen and keep the last radio in factory stock configuration.

Yeah, I should be more specific. If what you want is to just do it and see what you get, go for it. Sure didn't mean to sound as if I'm against experimenting.

Most modifications bring about two kinds of end result. The one you intended, if you did it right. And there will always be unintended consequences. If they're acceptable, good. And if they're not, this is how we find out.

Go for it.

More than once I have gotten this kind of question from someone who heard an unrealistic performance claim and wanted to achieve that. I do try to be polite nipping those in the bud.

It really is all about the objective you had in the first place. It's your radio, after all.

I thought these forums was to help not discourage maybe that's why the radio hobby is dying out .
I was trying to help. Your first post gave little information on your situation. I figured you either had a radio with a blown final or you thought a mosfet mod would magically give you 50 watts. If you have several of those and you want to mess around go for it. Since they are so in-expensive there is no money to be made off mods for that radio. This means smart radio techs will not spend much time to come up with anything for that radio. A simple google search found me this.

And a simple search on the forum here found this.

It's a big help to know what the desired result will be.

If a radio won't transmit, the member's objective when he posted a "it won't work" is self-explanatory. He'd like it to transmit again.

But when someone asks about a modification, the question usually starts with something technical, like substituting the final transistor.

And that's when I start asking "why?". It's all about what you're trying to achieve.

Whether you reveal it or not.

I will definitely figure it out and I will post the steps I did to it. Someone might be out there that loves messing around with radios in there spare time like me . Everyone has something they like to do and there isn't going to be any advantage of it making something perform better it was just in there interest to see if it was possible and how. My neighbor bought a car jacked it up and put big rims on it. To me it looks like crap it didn't help the performance of the car and some people including me thinks it stupid. But I don't down him for it he likes it and feels good about what he did. To me some people love to.jump quick and say negative things about what some of us unexperienced radio tech wantabee want to do but if everyone was a experience tech then my opinion there is no need for forum like this offering help .

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I will definitely figure it out and I will post the steps I did to it. Someone might be out there that loves messing around with radios in there spare time like me . Everyone has something they like to do and there isn't going to be any advantage of it making something perform better it was just in there interest to see if it was possible and how. My neighbor bought a car jacked it up and put big rims on it. To me it looks like crap it didn't help the performance of the car and some people including me thinks it stupid. But I don't down him for it he likes it and feels good about what he did. To me some people love to.jump quick and say negative things about what some of us unexperienced radio tech wantabee want to do but if everyone was a experience tech then my opinion there is no need for forum like this offering help .
There is a lot of us that come here for help but unfortunately there are some just thumbing through the post to see who they piss off and be Mr Funny Ass. ( I DID NOT SAY ANYONE THAT REPLIED TO MY POST DID ANY OF THIS) BUT IN SOME OF OTHER PEOPLES POST I HAVE SEEN THIS IMMATURE CRAP INCLUDING A FEW OF MINE IN THE PAST.

Reactions: Holydvr
i've done it. don't really remember how, but i've done it. it was cool for sh1ts and giggles. im not anti-final upgrade. sometimes that 10 extra peak watts might only be a .003% of an s-unit, but sometimes it is exactly what the kicker wants

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
i've done it. don't really remember how, but i've done it. it was cool for sh1ts and giggles. im not anti-final upgrade. sometimes that 10 extra peak watts might only be a .003% of an s-unit, but sometimes it is exactly what the kicker wants
Gotcha.thanks.for.understanding it's was just something I wanted to try doing .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.