• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Pro 510xl Killed By NooB

Been there, done that. Reverse wiring + wrong fuse = Bad JUJU

These radios and other like it are literally going for less than $10 on eBay. like 20+ of them on there now or try Craigs list in your area. Time to move on, but give the radio a proper burial and toss it into the the scrap box with the casing off in case any of the other components are still usable like the caps and resistors etc ;)

Reactions: Robb
Been there, done that. Reverse wiring + wrong fuse = Bad JUJU

These radios and other like it are literally going for less than $10 on eBay. like 20+ of them on there now or try Craigs list in your area. Time to move on, but give the radio a proper burial and toss it into the the scrap box with the casing off in case any of the other components are still usable like the caps and resistors etc ;)
100% agree. He might also get lucky or be patient and find a Cobra 25 or Uniden 76 radio for around $25/used on Craigslist. These are some really decent AM only radios and lots of mods available for them. He might need to remember to keep away from the crappier mods. When he gets to that point, he can just start another thread and a wealth of info can be made available here on that subject.

Last edited:
I probed the 7008 transistor and got unstable readings.
I got a little less then B+ that slowly decreased to around 8v when tested.
I got 7v on the other side, decreasing slowly to around 5.4v.
And the middle pin gave me negative voltage that slowly reached zero.

This is a MOSFET amIrite?

I checked these using my analog-digital trainer model XK-550 :cool:
And then the same dead car battery I burned my radio up with.
Same results.

No stable 8v.

Oh...Edit: What would I do with a Cobra 25?

I probed the 7008 transistor and got unstable readings.
I got a little less then B+ that slowly decreased to around 8v when tested.
I got 7v on the other side, decreasing slowly to around 5.4v.
And the middle pin gave me negative voltage that slowly reached zero.

This is a MOSFET amIrite?

I checked these using my analog-digital trainer model XK-550 :cool:
And then the same dead car battery I burned my radio up with.
Same results.

No stable 8v.

Oh...Edit: What would I do with a Cobra 25?
No; it is not a mosfet.
Cobra 25? Same thing you can do with your 510, only better . . .

No; it is not a mosfet.
Cobra 25? Same thing you can do with your 510, only better . . .
Well the same guy I picked up the box 'o' radios from last week has a 25 and a big Uniden. Maybe I'll go give him another $20 on Friday.

DigiKey order in.
One $0.44 voltage regulator in the mail.

I stopped by and picked up the rest of that guys radios.
In the mess there is a Cobra 25GTL and a Midland 202M.
Also Cobra CA75.

gashog.

that 25GTL, if working, is one of the best receivers out there for CB radios.

they are a great radio! it is old, and may need to have the electrolytics replaced, but once thats done, it will work like a brand new radio.
you can PM me if you want more info on that.
LC

Yes sir, those little old cobra 25's will put some power out and they sound great on AM. And a great receive as said. Have one myself that I can't part with LOL! One of those radios that is a keeper!! Even if it is just an AM CB radio!!

And like said, many mods for them compared to the radio you blew. Get it working and you'll see why the above posters say what they do! Use the CA-75 power mic as well if you want. They are actually a decent power mic and work well. Have one of those in my mic collection as well. Both the older and newer ones sound good for what they are. My local pal uses mine on a Yaseu FT101 and it sounds awesome. Just make sure to adjust mic gain accordingly.

Cobra 25 totally functions.
Also have a new broken base. a hy-range IV by hy-gain.
It's disghuuusting inside, but I found a fried resistor that I can't identify.
The rest of the board looks OK.
Base will not power up.

Still waiting for the voltage reg from DigiKey.
Thanks, everyone, for helping me attempt to correct my mistake.

Edit: Sprayed down the board and pots/switches with CRC and now my base works. :LOL:
I started testing stuff with DVOM and determined that 110V was being rectified, reduced and was making it through the on/off switch.
Gave up...put it back together and it powered up.
Recives loud but not exactly clear. Annoying whining noise.

Last edited:
GigiKey delivered but, to my disappointment, my radio is no better for it.
My penance for murdering my 510 will be to provide a safe and loving environment for my remaining CBs.
I will start new threads as I get into my Cobra 25 and other rigs that may be candidates for restoration.
I have an old Realistic that may be the same model as one I had years ago.
It was a very good radio and made the other drivers jealous.....and buthurt.

Reactions: 2RT307
Are planning on using the 25 as a base or mobile? I'm not the best at tech trouble shooting, but can offer assistance with mobile installs. :)

Are planning on using the 25 as a base or mobile? I'm not the best at tech trouble shooting, but can offer assistance with mobile installs. :)
At this time, I have 9 radios.
The hy-range is a base .... the rest are mobiles.
My wife has reported that the Midland 202M currently in my van is the better sounding radio of the mobiles that I have been able to test.

The 25 functions but the meter is stuck (easy fix) and the Dynamike seems inop.
Even with the powered mic, it's not as loud and clear as the Cobra 19 (my original radio) I have been using.

My circa 1993 29 LTD is very loud, especially with the powered mic.
The Dynamike and powered mic need to be at <1/2 for an intelligible transmit.

As of now, the (presumably stock) Midland 202M is my best rig.
I'd like to build a good radio from what I have, with the general consensus; the 25 is the best platform with which to start.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.