• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden washington channel mods

Chong

Feb 5, 2006
DX land Ohio
how do you do a channel mod to a uniden washington? do youu have to have a kit or can you just move something? well thanks for your help - chong

Note: Some newer Uniden's now have the RCI8719 'clone' Pll. You will have to replace the PLL with the old MB8719 BEFORE attempting these mods.

To get coverage from 27.455 - 28.045, find the MB8719 PLL, then locate pins 10,11and 12. Cut the track going to these pins. Locate a ground (chassis or track) .Using a DPDT Center off switch, connect the switch to pins 10,11,12(IC side of the cut) on the MB8719 PLL.This Mod will give you the normal 'FCC' channels in the center position. In the Down position 27.605 - 28.045, In the up position 27.455 - 27.605( on channels 2 -14).See diagram below.

mb87191.gif

there was few models of that radio,newer and older. There's a little bit more to it then these , but it's a start ,and you really need have a good idea what your doing in the first place. but we all had to start somewhere.You can just do a search on that radio on the net,IM sure you will come up with all kinds of goodies for it. Congrats !! on your new radio there Chong.8719.....858

Remember, just because you tap into extra frequencies that the PLL is capable of, does not automatically make those extra frequencies perform optimally. In regular CB's, there are several bandpass filters at various transmit stages that are usually just wide enough to pass the necessary frequencies needed to generate channels 1-40. Doing a mod as described above will get you ability to transmit and receive the additional frequencies, but likely at a considerable power loss as you move farther away from channel 1 or 40. There are ways to resolve this issue, but I wouldn't recommend the average operator to attempt it on his own. Incidentally, I'd be surprised if very many of the average CB shops even considered this issue when mod'ing radios for frequencies.

Reactions: David Livezey
well Mole ,for some ,it just ain't a perfect world )-: for others ,if it works , they tend not to fix it anyway. I think folks just like to experiment a little bit , there time and there dime so to speak. There's also what is called broad banding as well , I've personally experimented with both chips and never really had a problem , but I also didn't have major tools of the trade either , it still all worked weather it was perfect or not. Folks just like to have a little fun from time to time but I truly realize what a perfect world it can tend to be around these parts more so then not , you know what IM saying here ? It's almost like having a little fun with your stuff or modding this and that ect. ect. is always a bad thing ....for some it's just a hobby , for others it's perfection and no other way but that. I think IM a little flexable when it comes to cb radios , I certainly don't want to sound like pooh pooh or over drive some amp to were I sound like I have a ora of power around my audio ...I personally can not afford to be perfect to a T in my cb hobby ,but I figure I can be somewhat ballpark all the same. (-: IM sure others call it one thing ? I just call it having a little fun with my own baught and paid for junk ......It's all good. Peace

I wasn't trying to say not to experiment, or that it had to be perfect. What I was trying to make sure people understand is that if you do a mod like this why you might see a big power drop on the fringes of the new frequency range.

The main thing with this radio is there are 2 different Washingtons.... one has pin 10 on the pll tied to ground already--if I remember right you might have to do an xtal change on this one
On some others pin 10 is not connected to ground soi you can do the standard mod for 8719's
Thats whats kind of different about the Washingtons.. on one version you need to change the xtal-- but the xtal isn't too hard to find
8719 is very common-- you should find alot of info on the net about it-- its not a hard mod to do either-- Do a few searches, there was a few websites that had some real decent info and pretty much walk you through the mod

like I said Mole ,It's all good dude (-: , I understand what you said and IM sure others did as well. Didn't mean to sound like I was shooting you down or anything like that. I personally don't have a problem with the right ways or the wrong ways as long as it all works in the end. (-: You know ,like that thread of yours a while back about the NPC mod (great thread as well !!) and why they didn't look so good on the scope , I sure learned something that time !! In the wonderful world of cb radio , folks just tend to like what they like , Case in point , I've done a few NPC's along with the dreaded swing kits and I told the guys the truth about them ,but guess what ? I couldn't have got them to change back even for trying ? Go figure huh ? They hear there stuff and they like what they hear or the radio checks they get .....Guy's ain't happy unless there over modulated Mole )-: but at the same time , if that's what they want ? so be it !! for me ,it's about having fun ,talking to all the rest of the folks coming out my speaker box , and that would be the good the bad and the ugly of them all (-: No offence meant Mole , I just love "MY" cb hobby . Peace

I recently bought a Washington model off eBay. It is the older style with the 858PLL and has the mod done. The way the 'tech' who had it before me made the mod was by using the NoiseBlanker and PA switches to change frequencies. A friend of mine has an old base station and a VFO wired into it and the channels under 1 work awesome. With the washington wired to the cigarette lighter in my car, I can be sitting a good 50 miles from his house and we can talk like he was sitting shotgun in the car.
These old radios are darn near bullet proof. It literally weighs close to 20 pounds. Just another example of good quality american made products that are almost a thing of the past now. If you can find these radios for a decent price ($80 or so) snatch em up and keep em.

"Just another example of good quality american made products that are almost a thing of the past now."

Well I don't know what radio your friend is using, but the 858 chassis was not made in America. Japan if I recall correctly?

riq165

I think 420 meant well 165 (-: It's all good. Uniden I do believe is an American company all the same, hell !! do they make anything here anymore ? )-: Welcome to the forum M-R 420.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.