• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Washington tinny sounding receiver

Galaxyflyer1

Mar 4, 2019
Hey guys, I have been trying to find the issue with this receiver. First off, it had a complete re-cap job done recently and a complete alignment, which I double checked. The sensitivity is great. It hears just as good as my HF rigs when compared side by side on the same freq. But it just sounds so tinny. I tried an external speaker that I use on other rigs, but same thing. BTW, I have not heard this radio before the work was done so I really don't know if something was done incorrectly. Also, it seems that AM does not have this issue, or is just not as pronounced.

I am almost thinking that perhaps the bandpass is too narrow? Same effect when you narrow the IF band pass on a HF rig is probably the best way to describe it. Kinda pinched sounding. I have looked through the service manual but it doesn't appear to be any adjustment for band pass? Perhaps this is a fixed setting. Could the crystal filter stack be defective?

This is the radio with the 5 pin mic plug.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Bob

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio