• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unoiden 980SSB Detune of SSB only

beachbreak

Jul 27, 2015
Can I lower only SSB output for use with a KL203P?

Do I just lower rt203 (ALC)? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Adjust nothing else?

Can I do it without a watt meter by just looking at the RF gauge to see it coming down with each small adjustment?

Thanks guys, I just want to put out a clean signal with the amp.

AM won't be used with the amp.

Can I lower only SSB output for use with a KL203P?

Do I just lower rt203 (ALC)? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Adjust nothing else?

Can I do it without a watt meter by just looking at the RF gauge to see it coming down with each small adjustment?

Thanks guys, I just want to put out a clean signal with the amp.

AM won't be used with the amp.
i dont know what the adjustmen numbers are, looks like you know though. yes adjust rt203 SLOWLY. till ya get what u want. ya should use a external watt meter to see exactly what your doing though. while ya at it go ahead and lower am carrier to about 2 watts

Yep, 2 watts AM and just like hotrod said turn pot very slowly. Won't take much to get it down. Good that you're doing this. Will keep radio running cooler and the amp happy!! The pot is marked ALC on the board and yes I believe it's RT203. It will say SSB ALC, or just ALC. AMC is for AM modulation which can be turned up to 100% if you can achieve that as well. Radios are normally right on freq out of box so no need to mess with that. Sounds like you have it handled. And don't use a metal screwdriver to adjust the pot. If you do be very very careful as you can burn your radio up if not. Touch the wrong thing and pop goes the radio. So be careful. And have fun with the new setup!!

And yes you can use an external watt meter. It won't be 100% accurate unless it's a true peak hold meter. Most likely you will show a couple less watts than what the watt meter shows if this is the case. Set SSB power to about 6-8 watts max on an external meter. The rm Italy amps don't need much power to make them work. You could use 4-6 watts SSB and be fine. No one on the other end will notice the difference on the receiving end anyhow. Again, take your time and have fun with the new setup.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.