• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unsolved Mysteries in the CB Industry

For reasons I cannot understand, some companies have no problem selling crap. They also have no desire to improve on their previous work. Status quo seems to be standard practice for a lot of companies. Yes, there are a few reputable companies who care and try to improve over time, and these companies will get my business.

Is it me, or does "quality control" seem to be a thing of the past. Not just radios, but in the everyday things we purchase? Or am I just imagining this?

I know this didn't come close to an answer for you, Riverman. But it's the best I currently have.
This is because there is very little market for these products. I wish 11 popularity would come back like it was in the 70s/80s then there would be real development but alas this is what you get now.

This is because there is very little market for these products. I wish 11 popularity would come back like it was in the 70s/80s then there would be real development but alas this is what you get now.
I think you're absolutely right. I also think this will answer the question @Dr_DX had as well. It's basically about profit margins.

As far as the other two items on the list are concerned, I’ve never owned a Cobra 29LX, but I love the look and if it had SSB, I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

I have owned the Patriot antenna. It ended up hacksawed into several pieces and going to the landfill. :giggle:

As far as the other two items on the list are concerned, I’ve never owned a Cobra 29LX, but I love the look and if it had SSB, I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

I have owned the Patriot antenna. It ended up hacksawed into several pieces and going to the landfill. :giggle:
I'm right there with you. I'd definitely want one if it had ssb. That's one slick looking radio. I've been so close to buying one, several times and always talk myself out of it.

I'm right there with you. I'd definitely want one if it had ssb. That's one slick looking radio. I've been so close to buying one, several times and always talk myself out of it.
I’m thinking about buying one right now at the local truck stop. :ROFLMAO:
The only complaint I’ve ever heard or read about them is that the knobs are kinda flimsy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brother DXer
I’m thinking about buying one right now at the local truck stop. :ROFLMAO:
The only complaint I’ve ever heard or read about them is that the knobs are kinda flimsy.
That's where I see them. Whenever I'm traveling for work, I like stopping at the truck stops and I always find my way to the radios. They rarely have more than a couple, but sometimes they'll have a Cobra 29XL. Then the debate starts!! Lol...

Reactions: Riverman
I'm wondering how long, or even if, we'll see Ranger put some current (meaning new) technology in their radios. Think about this for a minute. Now that would be a great move, at least for the users.

Unfortunately, I probably need to go back and refer to the comment w9cll made. :(

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
I'm wondering how long, or even if, we'll see Ranger put some current (meaning new) technology in their radios. Think about this for a minute. Now that would be a great move, at least for the users.

Unfortunately, I probably need to go back and refer to the comment w9cll made. :(
I would rather have serviceable 70s tech like my 69vhp vs disposable modern tech like a 955.

I would rather have serviceable 70s tech like my 69vhp vs disposable modern tech like a 955.
I remember my CB radio tech,who sadly passed away sometime ago once told me that he enjoyed the 70,80's technology ( through the hole he called it) than dealing with SMT surface mount,it was his opinion that he felt that the more that cb radios moved more towards smt tech and away from through the hole,that you would see less and less Tech's out there who would want to work on them and stay in business so to speak ,he felt that CB's were no longer profitable in fixing and more moving in the direction in becoming disposable and the consumer buying a brand new one instead of taking the time to get it fixed,as I said it was his opinion,not mine......... hope all of my Radio brothers have a great day today!!

73's

I don't think I would call the Stryker 955 disposable. I would actually call it very reliable and serviceable if you send it to a tech who can, and knows how to work on new technology. There are quite a few out there. It's like modern cars. There was a day when I could and would do most of the mechanical work on my car, but you won't find me under the hood today.

I think I would rather have a 955 vs either of my two old school radios that constantly need attention. But I do understand where you're coming from.

Back to the Uniden Bearcat 980.

I've had two. The first one performed flawlessly for six months and then the finals died. Amazon refunded me my money and I decided I was better off bringing my 40+ year old Realistic Navaho TRC 490 SSB base out of retirement to replace it.

I bought a second Bearcat 980 about a year later at a good price. After a year of very light use it started this nonsense where the screen would increasingly fade the longer it was on. It may soon be time to bring my early 90's production Cobra 148 GTL out of retirement.

I really like these when they work, but that's proven to be wild card. I insist on reliability, so I won't be buying any more Bearcat 980s.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.