• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unusual Antenna performance

This one allows you to simply screw the PL259 on the end of your coax into the connector on the bracket.

Can purchase it on Amazon as well. And other places.
Why can't a person just bolt two normal antenna brackets together and simply exclude the insulating washer on one bracket? Connect the coax to the other one and you have the same thing as that fancy pre-made unit.

Why can't a person just bolt two normal antenna brackets together and simply exclude the insulating washer on one bracket? Connect the coax to the other one and you have the same thing as that fancy pre-made unit.
Probably because they would be electrically shorted out. There is a reason for everything.But let's see what the experts say.

Its best to use a balun, but you can go straight from one to the other like AudioShockwav shows.
What is it that the balun does exactly? I believe my dipole that I bought has a balun but I don't remember the purpose of it. The dipole is a cheap interesting way to get back into radio. If I would have known about them I might have used one when I got back into radio.

That will work fine. The MFJ bracket uses the same principle.
The result is one whip is connected to the coax’s center conductor and the other to the shield.

That is good example how to not mount antenna.

Respectfully, Mike, thousands radio operators (myself included) disagree with you. Hamstick and CBstick dipoles have been around forever. These setups work. And are fun to make and experiment with.

Let me elaborate.
1. On this picture we have unbalanced line connected to balanced antenna. So we have 3rd element in 2 element antenna. WRONG. Coax is now part of the antenna which is cause of many problems.
2. Antenna is mounted on metallic pole. So we have 4th element in two element antenna. WRONG. We don't want a pole to be antenna part, neither feedline right?

2 things: 1:1 or choke balun to cure #1 issue.
Insulate antenna mount from pole or use dielectric mast to cure #2 problem.
Mike

p.s. if antenna connected with black banana plug is insulated the same way as antenna on the left, we can skip #2

Last edited:
Reactions: Riverman
Let me elaborate.
1. On this picture we have unbalanced line connected to balanced antenna. So we have 3rd element in 2 element antenna. WRONG. Coax is now part of the antenna which is cause of many problems.
2. Antenna is mounted on metallic pole. So we have 4th element in two element antenna. WRONG. We don't want a pole to be antenna part, neither feedline right?

2 things: 1:1 or choke balun to cure #1 issue.
Insulate antenna mount from pole or use dielectric mast to cure #2 problem.
Mike

p.s. if antenna connected with black banana plug is insulated the same way as antenna on the left, we can skip #2

Point(s) taken. Agree on all accounts. (y)

That said, in its simplest form, will screwing two mobile whips onto such a mount, attaching the coax, checking SWR and sticking it in the air work?
Absolutely. Might have some CMC and a skewed pattern but it will hear and contacts will be made. And when conditions are right, faraway DX. Been there, done that.

Everything doesn’t have to be done by the book. Some prefer quick and easy. Like using Cliff Notes In college. :giggle:

Reactions: sp5it
Yes, the " matcher" is a " tuner".
This model is simply a couple compression capacitors switched inline with your antenna
Jeff just to let you know the other day I finally tried that little cheapo tuner with success to bring my SWR down on that dipole. The problem being while my Heart is in the Radio Room my Butt has to be in the rest or the house and garage to finish up unfinished remodeling. But when the attic gets warmer I will slightly shorten that dipole and maybe with the tuner I can get almost perfect SWR. I have been told before that a tuner is just a compromise and not a real fix so that is why I want to get it as close as I can manually.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated