• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unusual SWR issue with a mobile

Don't sweat it LC, Connor thinks electron tubes store lethal levels of potential energy. I'd be looking for a refund on his tuition expenses if I were him.

Thanks for the additional tips. The current set up is working well.

The most frustrating part was expecting the antenna set up to work as well on my truck as it did on others identical to mine. I guess it's best that I got the screwed up one as most of the drivers I work with would burn up a radio or two before they realized there was a issue, and then probably just not run a radio rather than put the time and effort into solving the problem.

BTW, in either location, there was 6" or less of the antenna below the roof line of the cab.

Yep LC did the same thing, and boy it helps a bunch! Keeps the rf out of the work van that's for sure. One place I think that is often overlooked is the quality of the coax as well. I am a firm believer that good quality coax makes a difference. The crap rg8x that is sold all over ebay and the truck stops is just crap IMO. The center jacket melts when any decent amount of heat is applied. Now some good lmr240 has done wonders for me and a couple of others that I replaced their coax from rg8x to lmr240. More power out the antenna and less lost going to the antenna. Again these are just from my own experiences. I use times microwave, Andrew, or 123 wireless LMR240 for all my mobile installs now. It really does make a difference, or so I have experienced.

222, glad to know someone else out there knows that using better coax isnt just about power handling or losses.

its all about shielding, and in the RF intense world we live in, its more important than ever.

i now use coax with both foil and braid exclusively.
LC

LC I know it works and makes a difference!! If they use it on cell site equipment that cost 10's of thousands of dollars I woud think it would be good for what we do!! I have made believers out of even the old timers around here! And besides I have a bunch of 25ft sections and a few 50ft sections as well as some lmr400! Perks of the job lol.

I thought I was doing the right thing by using the RG8X instead of RG58 but I think it's time to trade up to the good stuff. With all the time spent trying to figure this out I'm not going to set myself up for another failure in the near future. I can't run the antenna or mount that I would prefer, but there are no limitations on the coax.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.