• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upd858 Washington Channel display dark after 29

Misfit

May 1, 2017
This is a brain teaser for me.
Upd858 President Washington
2 digit 7 segment 16 pin common anode display.
The segments were dimming and so I bypassed the ribbon wire and soldered each pin manually. The display was then bright as original and working perfectly up to channel 29...but now both digits go totally dark from channel 30-40
And, no receive past 29 either..
Did I blow it up?
Yeesh.

Last edited:

Thanks so much for the reply, nomad. I will try to find a bridge...again.
Try as I may I couldn't see anything with my head magnifier.
(I'm always attempting procedures that are just beyond my abilities).
I will try to blast it with light and maybe desolder carefully.
I will report back and thank you again.

Ok...
nomad, I am in your debt yet again for your steady hand and support.

I checked and re-checked for bridges...nothing.
I sprayed fiber optic cleaner to blow out any possible corrosion that I could not see that may have formed a bridge....nothing.

Finally, I re-traced each individual jumper to the corresponding solder points...nothing.
..then I did that again.
On the 9th jumper I checked (pin 1) I found my blunder; not a bridge, but I merely soldered to the wrong point on the tuner side!
So, hopefully this may help someone with this extremely frustrating and wacky issue (that I caused myself).
nomad, again, thanks for the response.
Sometimes having an experienced friend there with a confident answer is all ya need to find the grit to push through and overcome!
I appreciate it, man.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.