• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgraded Galaxy DX98VHP to Toshiba’s

@NightThumper
I'm about to do a Frankenstein sort of what you did my friend.

So was at the flying j in Sayre OK earlier this week and a driver had a 95T for sale that he said was toasted for 50 bucks. I thought, maybe it's worth the parts so met up with him and took it for the fifty. Like a kid with a new toy, got it home and sure enough it didn't transmit or receive either. Cracked her open and found the coax inside the amp section was pulled apart. Kind of strange...
Plugged it in and voila it came to life so the Toshiba pills are good.

Now.... I have a brand spanking new 94hp here that I'm thinking the Toshiba amp board will swap right into. Why?? Why not??

The 95t has segments out, looks rough and could be a donor for the 95t2 I already had and...... the 94hp is a 4 mosfet amp board which I believe the 2 pill board is superior to.

Looking through the schematic and all the wiring it looks to be pretty simple so I think.

Mr. Brad or anyone else here, any suggestions or objections and why?

I'm second guessing myself.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
My friend…here’s some thoughts.

The 95t uses two Toshiba 2SC2290 for roughly 150 watts output.
The 94hp with the 4 mosfets (520’s) are good for roughly 100 watts output.

I’ve never read anything about the swap you are contemplating. Obviously you need to evaluate both boards regarding mounting, all connections coax/molex/electrical and how the heat sinks line up. Does the 94hp have mounting holes for the two 2SC2290 Toshiba’s. Of course that’s going to involve removing the amp board from the 94hp to verify. If you all those things are good to go then we need to check how hard/wattage the finals in the 94hp will be hitting the 2SC2290’s in the 94hp.

Thats a start sir…

EDIT: Maybe the radio cases are identical and you could just swap the bottom covers with the amp boards…that would be nice

Last edited:
My friend…here’s some thoughts.

The 95t uses two Toshiba 2SC2290 for roughly 150 watts output.
The 94hp with the 4 mosfets (520’s) are good for roughly 100 watts output.

I’ve never read anything about the swap you are contemplating. Obviously you need to evaluate both boards regarding mounting, all connections coax/molex/electrical and how the heat sinks line up. Does the 94hp have mounting holes for the two 2SC2290 Toshiba’s. Of course that’s going to involve removing the amp board from the 94hp to verify. If you all those things are good to go then we need to check how hard/wattage the finals in the 94hp will be hitting the 2SC2290’s in the 94hp.

Thats a start sir…

EDIT: Maybe the radio cases are identical and you could just swap the bottom covers with the amp boards…that would be nice
Thank you sir, I was on that route so broke the seal on the 94 this evening to start investigating. Boy I should have looked the 94 over when it was delivered.... it worked in initial testing but once inside there's some q.c. issues I'll need to address first. Some serious reflow work needs to be done before moving on to the investigating of the possible transplant. The serial number shows its birth in 2021 so during the dark times of the virus and it shows. Check out the chicken turds on this one.... one ceramic cap isn't even attached on one leg...

Zoom in on the pictures, 2 cap leeds not even attached on the foil side. Geez:rolleyes:

Once I get that straightened out we'll move ahead and report back.

Attachments

• 20220311_213036.jpg
    20220311_213036.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220311_212952.jpg
    20220311_212952.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220311_212939.jpg
    20220311_212939.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Good Lord…that’s bad. Looks like someone went to The Bell’s CB school of soldering!

Keep us posted friend.

The barefoot-radio final in the 95 will be turned down to 14 Watt peaks or less, typically.

The four-MOSFET amplifier in the 94 requires more drive than the Toshibas. Might want to be sure you don't smack the new amplifier too hard with the 94.

The potential for a mismatch is there. Don't have the data to prove it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.