• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgrading filters

jetman

Feb 6, 2013
Ok. I've been trying to improve the RX in my CBs and one of the tips I got was using "larger" cap filters in the Audio section. I'm not that familiar with caps. So are they referring to the capacitance or the voltage? Would I replace a 1000uF 16V with a 2200uF? Or a 1000uF 50V? I'm not understanding the meaning behind the term "larger" cap.

putting a 2200uf cap in place helps with the filtering a lot better than the stock 1000uf on some units. I have put a 3000uf in one and it seems to help on the radios noise some more.

jetman, just be sure that you know which caps are being used for filtration and which ones are being used for other purposes, such as freq response, time constants, etc...

you can raise the value of the filter caps and have no problems, but changing the values on other electrolytic caps can cause you all sorts of problems.

LC

Reactions: 1 person
Upgrading these type of electrolytic caps will not improve your ability to hear anything. It could reduce alternator whine or improve fidelity but it's not going to make the receiver more sensitive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.